Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Blue
Flat spots in Second and Third :0(

I have just started to notice that occasionally when accelerating through the gears especially 2nd and 3rd I get a flat spot what would be causing this as it happens whether the engine is hot or cold. :chicken: The second problem I had today was when I started the car from cold today quite allot of smoke appeared then cleared from the muffler.

Can anyone help shed any light on this, many thanks

GPS Tracking,
B&M SSK
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #2

If by "quite a lot of smoke" you mean enough to cover the rear bumper, it's probably the oil separator. That may be causing your flat spots too. Do a search on "oil separator" here and at renntech.org and you'll find several threads on it. One of them has a picture of what to look at to see if it's the separator.

If you are getting a lot of smoke, no matter what's causing it, you should not drive it anymore until you figure it out. It could be deadly to your engine.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
I have just started to notice that occasionally when accelerating through the gears especially 2nd and 3rd I get a flat spot what would be causing this as it happens whether the engine is hot or cold. :chicken: The second problem I had today was when I started the car from cold today quite allot of smoke appeared then cleared from the muffler.

Can anyone help shed any light on this, many thanks
I can't be definative, but it sounds similar to what I experienced. Under hard acceleration (where it wasn't "rolled on") I felt a distinct flat spot that wasn't there before. About 1 month later I started noticing hesitation coming off the line along with a few instances of white smoke (not atypical for the Boxster). A few weeks after that the hesitation became flat out jerking.

A trip to the Porsche doctor revealed that I need to replace the MAF. It ran fine for about a week and then started up again. One more trip and they replaced a plug that had fouled too much during the MAF issue. After that - wonderfully smooth acceleration.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
A trip to the Porsche doctor revealed that I need to replace the MAF. It ran fine for about a week and then started up again. One more trip and they replaced a plug that had fouled too much during the MAF issue. After that - wonderfully smooth acceleration.
Since it fixed Pete's problem, I'd start with cleaning the MAF. A mechanic won't clean it, just replace it. Possibly a free fix.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Blue
Many thanks guys for all of the help, the Maf and a set of new plugs solved the problem!

GPS Tracking,
B&M SSK
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote