986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Flat spots in Second and Third :0( (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/4884-flat-spots-second-third-0-a.html)

Blue 01-25-2006 01:20 PM

Flat spots in Second and Third :0(

I have just started to notice that occasionally when accelerating through the gears especially 2nd and 3rd I get a flat spot what would be causing this as it happens whether the engine is hot or cold. :chicken: The second problem I had today was when I started the car from cold today quite allot of smoke appeared then cleared from the muffler.

Can anyone help shed any light on this, many thanks :confused:

deliriousga 01-26-2006 06:58 AM

If by "quite a lot of smoke" you mean enough to cover the rear bumper, it's probably the oil separator. That may be causing your flat spots too. Do a search on "oil separator" here and at renntech.org and you'll find several threads on it. One of them has a picture of what to look at to see if it's the separator.

If you are getting a lot of smoke, no matter what's causing it, you should not drive it anymore until you figure it out. It could be deadly to your engine.

denverpete 01-26-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
I have just started to notice that occasionally when accelerating through the gears especially 2nd and 3rd I get a flat spot what would be causing this as it happens whether the engine is hot or cold. :chicken: The second problem I had today was when I started the car from cold today quite allot of smoke appeared then cleared from the muffler.

Can anyone help shed any light on this, many thanks :confused:

I can't be definative, but it sounds similar to what I experienced. Under hard acceleration (where it wasn't "rolled on") I felt a distinct flat spot that wasn't there before. About 1 month later I started noticing hesitation coming off the line along with a few instances of white smoke (not atypical for the Boxster). A few weeks after that the hesitation became flat out jerking.

A trip to the Porsche doctor revealed that I need to replace the MAF. It ran fine for about a week and then started up again. One more trip and they replaced a plug that had fouled too much during the MAF issue. After that - wonderfully smooth acceleration.

deliriousga 01-26-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
A trip to the Porsche doctor revealed that I need to replace the MAF. It ran fine for about a week and then started up again. One more trip and they replaced a plug that had fouled too much during the MAF issue. After that - wonderfully smooth acceleration.

Since it fixed Pete's problem, I'd start with cleaning the MAF. A mechanic won't clean it, just replace it. Possibly a free fix. :cheers:

Blue 01-31-2006 02:26 PM

Many thanks guys for all of the help, the Maf and a set of new plugs solved the problem! :cheers: