Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #21

Hey Doc, I have this pain in my wrist whenever I am in gear. Forget the pain, but I'm more concerned about the gear. LOL.

I was wondering if the B&M will fix my problem. You see, when I'm in Gear, for example 3rd, I can move my stick left and right about 1/2" ( It really feels like 1-2"). It's like it's loose as if it were in neutral. Very annoying.

Do you think the B&M will take care of my problem?

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #22

That sounds like a cable is way out of adjustment. Both the stock shifter and the B&M should be tight side to side. If you want the cheap fix, i would pull apart your console and try adjusting the cables and test it out (you can make the adjustments with the shifter in place until if feels good, then put the console back together)
Old 02-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #23

I have the same problem! But in neutral its tight. It also slips into gear without any play. However once in gear there is a lot of side to side play. Can that be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
You see, when I'm in Gear, for example 3rd, I can move my stick left and right about 1/2" ( It really feels like 1-2"). It's like it's loose as if it were in neutral. Very annoying.
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #24

I've got a 99 coming in tomorrow with a stock shifter. I will play around with it and see exactly how much play is normal. Then i will compare it to Josh's, which has the B&M in it.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I've got a 99 coming in tomorrow with a stock shifter. I will play around with it and see exactly how much play is normal. Then i will compare it to Josh's, which has the B&M in it.
Hey Doc! I've really thought about this mod but I'm definately concerned about the shift action when it's cold outside. Given that it's just generally going to be cold more often than hot here - that's a serious concern for me. My standard shifter is notchy enough when cold - I really don't need to feel like I'm trying to punch through the dash.

Advice please!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:24 AM   #26

As a counter point to all the people who seem to love the B&M short shifter read this thread

Vertex / Schell short shifter review

A short shifter isn't for everyone IMHO.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Hey Doc! I've really thought about this mod but I'm definately concerned about the shift action when it's cold outside. Given that it's just generally going to be cold more often than hot here - that's a serious concern for me. My standard shifter is notchy enough when cold - I really don't need to feel like I'm trying to punch through the dash.

Advice please!
While a well adjusted B&M should not be any notchier than a stock shifter, it probably will not be any less notchy either. I would first try changing your gear lube to a 75w-90 synthetic (mobil 1, royal purple, amsoil, etc), i bet that will help your cold shifting blues.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
While a well adjusted B&M should not be any notchier than a stock shifter, it probably will not be any less notchy either. I would first try changing your gear lube to a 75w-90 synthetic (mobil 1, royal purple, amsoil, etc), i bet that will help your cold shifting blues.
Thanks Doc! It's really not that bad right now. I just want to make sure if I do go with the short-shift kit that it won't be alot worse.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
Hey Doc, I have this pain in my wrist whenever I am in gear. Forget the pain, but I'm more concerned about the gear. LOL.

I was wondering if the B&M will fix my problem. You see, when I'm in Gear, for example 3rd, I can move my stick left and right about 1/2" ( It really feels like 1-2"). It's like it's loose as if it were in neutral. Very annoying.

Do you think the B&M will take care of my problem?
Ok, i checked both cars out today, and I would say that the B&M has just as much play side to side as the stock shifter does. On the next car that comes in for a short shifter, i will play around with the cables and see if I can't work that play out of it....
Old 02-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #30
bmussatti

Here is a good install link for the B&M Short Shift Kit:

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf
Old 04-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #31

Any luck Doc? Do you have any updates for us?
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #32

2003 GT2 Shift Assembly

Has anyone installed a GT2 Shift Assembly in their 986? I was wondering if it would be an improvement like the 997/987 assembly. Thanks in advance.

jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote