Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Nebie to the boards with another 'no key' question.. help please..

Guys/gals, I'm new here, and have just bought a salvage '98 986. I managed to secure a very good price on the car, which I suspect is why the keys are now missing.

Two questions please:

1) Can the steering lock easily be removed to enable the car to be rolled and steered around the shop (car not delivered yet), and

2) Is there any change is wisdom (apart from 'insure' the car has two keys when you buy it) to work around the 'main dealer having to have the car' issue to replace the key. Car is on it's wheels, but had no drivers' door or seat.. If I can secure a matching ignition key, lock barrel and steering column module, will that allow the rest of the car to recognise that module and start/run?

Ok, that's three questions, but any help would be appreciated please..

K9

K9COP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

The new key(s) will have to be programmed to the Boxster security system - a dealer or a Porsche shop who has access to a PIWIS - without that you cannot start the engine. The lock / alarm / security module is located under the drivers seat which should be locatable seeing that you don't have a seat fitted.

As to the "mechanical" part of the key steering lock, I would think thats possible but if you are going to have to get new keys anyway, I would think you should kill both birds with the one stone and not try removing the steering lock.....
I'd ring round a couple of REPUTABLE Porsche independant shops local to you and get some idea of the cost / ease of replacement before you go ripping into the steering lock removal.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

Thank you..

..gotta love German cars, my Audi A8 is the same way. It needed a new battery when I bought it, and it was actually cheaper to buy a battery and the software to program it, with the required cable, than it was to have the dealer fit a battery and code it to the car... ho hum.

I'm actually intending to remove the entire drive-train to use in another car, so I guess I need to know it's all working in the Boxster first...

Thank you.

K9

Last edited by K9COP; 10-30-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Garage
You also need to obtain the security programing codes from a authorized dealer.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #5

I run into a lot of the same problems at work, cars come off of the flatbed with the steering locked for whatever reason and cant be steered.

I went to harbor freight and bought a few wheel dollies. When the car is delivered, just jack the front wheels up and lower the car on the dollies. Just go easy over concrete gaps...

They arent the strongest in the world either, they are harbor freight products, after all. After ruining a few, I got some steel and reinfoced them.

As for the steering lock, Porsches and Mercedes are made to have their ignitions easily removed....as long as the key is in position 1. If that isnt possible, grab an air chisel and destroy the ignition lock.

...Or, just order a key blade from porsche, which doesnt have to be programmed, so you can steer the car around
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Thanks guys,

..so if I can secure used examples of ignition switch and key, steering wheel module and immobiliser module, can they all be programmed by the dealer to start the car? Also, do they all have to come from the same car, or can I mix and match modules and have the dealer 'code' them please?

Thanks,

K9
Old 11-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #7

I would be able to code keys to the vehicle. I would need the year. The Immo box should be under the pasager seat. As long as all computers are from the same vehicle, vehicle will start. A good automotive locksmith should be able to make the mech key.
wovenkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
..gotta love German cars, my Audi A8 is the same way. It needed a new battery when I bought it, and it was actually cheaper to buy a battery and the software to program it, with the required cable, than it was to have the dealer fit a battery and code it to the car... ho hum.

I'm actually intending to remove the entire drive-train to use in another car, so I guess I need to know it's all working in the Boxster first...

Thank you.

K9
A new battery needed to be coded to the car???
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Firstly, I have secured a matching set (allegedly) of boxes...

The transponder key, ignition lock barrel, steering column reader module, immobilser box and engine ECU. Is there a way of getting the old ignition lock out without the original key?

Secondly re: the Audi, yes. It's a 2005 Audi A8 SWB sport package, and the car requires the battery manufacturer, serial number and some other information, presumably to instruct the battery/power module correctly...

K9
Old 11-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
The transponder key, ignition lock barrel, steering column reader module, immobilser box and engine ECU. Is there a way of getting the old ignition lock out without the original key?

Secondly re: the Audi, yes. It's a 2005 Audi A8 SWB sport package, and the car requires the battery manufacturer, serial number and some other information, presumably to instruct the battery/power module correctly...

K9
Not without damage. Removing with a key is the safest route. See if Porsche will supply you with the keycode.