Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

View Poll Results: Have you had a RMS leak?
No 34 69.39%
Yes 13 26.53%
Yes; multiple leaks 2 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #121

Purchased 2003 Boxster 2.7L Tiptronic with 6400 miles as Porsche CPO from Newport Porsche in 2007. I am the second owner and the current mleage is 19600 miles. No RMS leak or IMS failure to date - The underside of the engine/trans area is bone dry and shows no signs of previous leaks/oil seepage. So far, so good! Routine oil changes at 5000 mile intervals or every 12 monthe regardless of mileage. Spirited driving style after bringing engine up to operating temps as a precaution.

I am, however, seriously considering an IMS retrofit from LN engineering preemptively as others have done. I will be getting a quote from Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA next week.

Marburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #122

I have a 2000 S with 38K mi. that has never leaked. It uses none of the 10w40 specified in the owners manual between changes. It's getting a prophylactic LN Engineering IMS Kit next week with water pump, cool thermostat and belt, and Air/Oil separator. Again it would be interesting to know how many seal failures are with 0w and 5w oil usage and how many bearing failures occurred with those oils and/or change intervals over 5000 mi. Yes, it's a weak bearing, but if you're going to gamble by continuing with it, use more viscosity in conjunction with higher (older) ZDDP content. All of the "exotic" oils contain higher levels.
The ZDDP won't trash your cats if you are burning very little oil.

Last edited by Manfred; 10-26-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Update: Bearing was visibly OK
Manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #123

Garage
2000 BoxS with 44,000miles - RMS is dry and IMS is quiet (and filter is clean of debris)... so far so good... Oil changes are cheap motor protection!
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #124

Garage
Darn

D-chunked at 100,000 miles, looking for an Audi V8 to drop in, not gonna waste my time with another one of these "fine" M96 motors. BTW, does anybody want to buy a long block core?

986piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #125

What about putting in a renegade hybrid LS1 in your box, 986piper? Lots cheaper and the maintenance is a lot cheaper too. Gobs of power to boot.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #126

I recently purchased a Guards Red 2003 Boxster S 6 speed from CAR MAX. The vehicle was immaculate with only 25,000 miles. It had been a leased car. If I had done my research prior to purchasing the car I would have been aware of the IMS issues than have plagued many of these cars. With this issue in mind I took the car to a respected local Porsche mechanic for evaluation. The car had no leaks, tires were original with no cracks on the exterior or interiors. I elected to have the IMS bearing replaced with an LN Engineering kit just to be on the safe side. The mechanic replaced the oil and filter before beginning work on the engine. No signs of metal was found. I do not regret this work done. I feel that it was money well spent and that I will enjoy the car for years to come. By the way, I'm 73 and a rather conservative driver.
Rcomito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #127

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #128

I know they were inspected but the general limit is about 6 years for tires. If the car is 9 years old, the tires could be older. Look on the sidewalls determine the month and year of manufacture and then decide if you want to trust you safety to them.

I suspect, if the tires have decent tread, at least the rears aren't original. Typical Boxsters don't go 25k on the rear tires unless they are aligned to max tire wear as opposed to max traction.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #129

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcomito View Post
I recently purchased a Guards Red 2003 Boxster S 6 speed from CAR MAX. The vehicle was immaculate with only 25,000 miles. It had been a leased car. If I had done my research prior to purchasing the car I would have been aware of the IMS issues than have plagued many of these cars. With this issue in mind I took the car to a respected local Porsche mechanic for evaluation. The car had no leaks, tires were original with no cracks on the exterior or interiors. I elected to have the IMS bearing replaced with an LN Engineering kit just to be on the safe side. The mechanic replaced the oil and filter before beginning work on the engine. No signs of metal was found. I do not regret this work done. I feel that it was money well spent and that I will enjoy the car for years to come. By the way, I'm 73 and a rather conservative driver.
Nice looking car; for a 10 year old car with 25K, obviously the car hasn't been driven much.
I would recommend driving the car as much as you can, don't be afraid the rev the motor after it's warmed up and change the oil annually if you don't hit 6-8K miles of use/year
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #130

Rcomito, I second that compliment and the advice. Excellent choice! I wish I had purchased red.

I wind up my motor to redline every time I drive it. The motor is designed for it and it really helps with lubrication from all I've read.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #131

Re evaluating tiresp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I know they were inspected but the general limit is about 6 years for tires. If the car is 9 years old, the tires could be older. Look on the sidewalls determine the month and year of manufacture and then decide if you want to trust you safety to them.

I suspect, if the tires have decent tread, at least the rears aren't original. Typical Boxsters don't go 25k on the rear tires unless they are aligned to max tire wear as opposed to max traction.
I suspected that the tires might not be original and had a local tire dealer confirm the 5009 code I found on the side walls. Indeed, the code was December2009. I was relived that I am riding on tires that are just over four years old. I was prepared to have new Michelins installed. By the way, apparently the previous owner drove the car with car as both front and rear tire show about the same amount of remaining tread. Additionally, all four tires have the 5009 code.

Last edited by Rcomito; 02-24-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: In correct date
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #132

When you see a Black 2003 2.7L with chrome rims cursing the Inland Empire & O.C. area... give me honk!

I'll know it's you, because there isn't many Guards Red 2003 on the road!

Congrats!
Speedster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #133

*deleted, wrong one
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #134
Boxster S Bassist

Recently replaced the IMSB with LN dual row ceramic bearing. Mech noticed small metal particles in oil filter but we caught it before bearing failure. Car is 2000S with just under 74K. Did clutch at same time. It was on the way out! Pricey but worth the peace of mind!
John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #135

porsche grenade

1997, base boxster. grenades engine at, 144,000 kilometers. Porsche said too bad, Porsche in Calgary alta, installed a used wrecker , sup, low mileage engine, for many thousand,s. so cost of engine and instal, I purchased car for 10500$ and now have 190,000 kilometers on it. with some maint . brakes , aos , starter etc. sad that if the engine blows on my watch, I will scrap the car. 10,000$ boxsters are easy to come by. would I buy another , yes. two trunks, great driving experience, and performance for a light car. all that trumps, the Miata , solstice, Honda , etc.
boxster newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #136

stats for failure

I will also mention , ( Eisen IMS class action lawsuit, The single row ims used 2000-2005 have an 8% failure rate versus less than 1% with the dual row.
boxster newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:26 AM   #137

good morninall. have a newly purchased 2002 base with tiptronic. 62k miles. not sure if the IMS is really even an issue for me, but would like some input. last oil change was clean, no metal. car runs very well, smooth with the exception of some minor wheel shimmy at about 75 mph. may be road. struts tight, recent wheel balance. thanks

boxstertoy

Last edited by boxstertoy; 01-24-2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: cant type
boxstertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #138
Known Gearhead

Garage
Yes, RMS leak (seep, no floor stain) in my 2004 S. Had seal replaced, today along with clutch and oil filler tube.

I don't know how to vote in the poll.
imon_2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #139

My '02 986S had an RMS leak when I purchased it with 68k on the odo. It also needed a water pump and a few other things. I decided to have all the big stuff tackled at once save for the timing chain paddles--RMS, LN IMS upgrade, clutch/DMF, AOS, water pump, etc.

Now I change the oil, put gas in it, and drive it hard whenever possible without (too much) anxiety.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #140

RMS leak at 48K miles. Luckily I noticed it 2 weeks after I purchased it from a Porsche dealer and they agreed to repair it at no cost to me. I did the IMS and clutch since the engine was out and the labor was minimal for the additional work.