Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

View Poll Results: Have you had a RMS leak?
No 34 69.39%
Yes 13 26.53%
Yes; multiple leaks 2 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche804
the problem you guys are having is ealily fixed, a 997 rear main seal put in correctly to the correct depth, (your porsche center should know this) and a smear of high temp grease on the inside lip of the seal ( the part that meets the crankshaft) the grease stops the seal being burnt at first start up. im still waiting to see one leak after four years,

Someone should tell Porsche about this fix. Apparently, they haven't quite caught on!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #82

I bought my 03 Boxster from my local dealer Porsche certified. A one owner new Boxster trade which had been purchased at the same dealership. 33K miles. I've put about 5K miles on the car and have seen no problems.
The dealer also had a 01 996C4 for sale, Porsche certified, with 27K miles, in which they replaced the RMS. My impression is the RMS problem is greater for the 3.4L 996s than the Boxster--from my readings. I walked away from the 996 because of it. You can improve the sealer, but you can't improve the shaft if there is a tolerance problem.
My Boxster has no history of RMS problems, and none after 5K miles I've put on it.
I wonder how much RMS problems have to do with how the car is driven? Some of these cars get pampered, some get driven hard (track, etc.) That has to be a factor. Mine gets driven like an average car. Sporty transportation only. Same as the previous owner. It has not used a drop of Mobil 1 oil in 5K miles.
986sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #83

RMS: no // IMS: yes

I'm the 2nd owner of my 2000 S. Current mileage is 95K.

In May of '05 and after 69K trouble-free miles, the PO noticed a few drops of oil on his garage floor. He took it to the dealer that services the car and on inspection they concluded it was a RMS leak and arranged to repair. After dropping the tranny, they found the RMS was fine, but a leak at the IMS bearing cover. Dealer told him the bearing was failing and that there was no way to repair. Despite being well out of warranty, Porsche paid 75% of the engine replacement.

New engine has 25K miles on it and has no leaks.

So my car has had no RMS issue across two engines and 95K total miles. But the first engine did suffer the dreaded IMS problem, it just happened to be caught before the engine went boom.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #84

My car went 120k miles on the original RMS and no oil leaks at all. The only reason the RMS was changed was that I changed the clutch and assumed that I was better off changing it since we where in the area.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #85

Have you experienced a RMS leak? yes
Have you experienced mutiple RMS leaks no
Have you experienced an engine failure no
Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #86

We are at 49 respondents and 30% report RMS leaks.

Not sure we can interpret much from this. Does the poll limit people to vote only once?
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #87

My 2003 Boxster experienced an RMS leak at 39000 miles. No further leaks or engine problems in the last 10000 miles. My previous 1997 Boxster experienced no leaks in over 120,000 miles
Piperdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #88

2004 boxster s 550 SE, 65,000 miles when purchased 10/07, 67,000 miles now, 3rd owner, zero history of RMS, car has ran flawlessly, needs nothing...
fishyfishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #89

Hey guys,

I am in the same boat now. I don't know what to or who to believed..

I bought the 02 Boxster @ 47KMiles. It had went through 45K service along with leak fix and etc.. So after the purchased, I took it in for yearly maintenance to make sure oil has new, air bag check and break fluid flush. After that, i noticed the small oil leak (one or two drop when i park my car) and I didn't pay attention much because I thought it could be minor/lose nut.

Now.. 18 months after that service, I am close for 60K. I took in the car today and dealer told me that the car had a major oil leak and need to fix it.. leak at rear and front. so now I really don't know who to trust and what to do..

Your advises are welcome and I hope they are not ripping me off when it was just a lose nut or need replacement nut.

Thanks,
-Al.
Extreme916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #90

The sad trueth

2001 Boxster 2.7L

Have you experienced a RMS leak? YES, 28,000 replaced by dealer.
Have you experienced multiple RMS leaks? NO.
Have you experienced an engine failure? YES! 74,000 mile OIL and Water mixed.

Dealer says these things happen. In this day and age engine failure at anything under 100K or even 150K is really unacceptable. This engine bathed in Mobil 1 and was never tracked.

TB
THTABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme916
Hey guys,

I am in the same boat now. I don't know what to or who to believed..

I bought the 02 Boxster @ 47KMiles. It had went through 45K service along with leak fix and etc.. So after the purchased, I took it in for yearly maintenance to make sure oil has new, air bag check and break fluid flush. After that, i noticed the small oil leak (one or two drop when i park my car) and I didn't pay attention much because I thought it could be minor/lose nut.

Now.. 18 months after that service, I am close for 60K. I took in the car today and dealer told me that the car had a major oil leak and need to fix it.. leak at rear and front. so now I really don't know who to trust and what to do..

Your advises are welcome and I hope they are not ripping me off when it was just a lose nut or need replacement nut.

Thanks,
-Al.

Have them put the car on the lift and show you the evidence of the oil leaks. If legit, you should be able to see for yourself.

Then, shop for a good price.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #92

Send a message via Yahoo to wweirich
RMS Survey

2001 986, "S", 3.2 L, 49k miles, purchased used (3rd Owner) - originally a lease car, CT, and then to CA.

Have you experienced a RMS leak?::::::::::::: Yes (Repair is $1,284)
Have you experienced mutiple RMS leaks:::::: No
Have you experienced an engine failure::::::: No

The EBay dealer picked up 500 USD of the repair costs, much to our surprise, even after signging an "As Is - No Warranty" upon taking posession. I twas leaking on pick-up, a slow leak. I figured it was a minor leak. Wrong Buckwheat; It was definately a RMS failure - so, we are doing the Clutch Kit (and CV joint boots) at the same time for a grand total of just under $2.8k.

We own an aircraft, of age - 1964 - and we're used to throwing money at mechanical things to make them right. Its gratifying to see something run smooth again. I hope this repair is durable.

wmweirich@hotmail.com
Central Coast, CA

Last edited by wweirich; 04-12-2008 at 09:46 PM.
wweirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #93

2002 Boxster S. Second owner. Bought at 36k; Currently 47k.

Service records indicate transmission (6 speed), clutch, and RMS were replaced under warranty at 15k.

No reoccurrence.

No engine failure.
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #94

99 Boxster 2.5, currently has 95k miles

Engine failure: Yes, at 65k miles (I did not own then)
RMS Leak: Yes, just now developing at 95k miles (only 30k on engine) I don't think prior owner had RMS issues, just the major failure and replacement of engine.

Question: At about 30k, with a dealer replaced engine, would Porsche cover any or all of the repair costs for the RMS leak? (wishful thinking perhaps... )
box_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #95

98 Boxster 2.5, currently has 171,000 miles

Engine failure: Yes, at 23k miles and out of warranty. Porsche nevertheless paid for it.

RMS Leak: Yes, very minor. It wouldn't drip on the floor of the garage, so I never bothered. Also since 3 years ago I started using Mobil 1 High Performance 15W50 and the RMS leak has completely dried up.

I'm still on my original clutch!

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #96

RMS leak

Mine is a 2002 Boxster S with 36,000 on it. They removed the tranny due to a leak at the shift lever shaft. When they did that we inspected the clutch and it was in bad shape so we removed the clutch and put a new one in. I had a RMS leak so I had them do the kit for that and for the Intermediate shaft too even though it wasn't leaking. All evidence is that my car was abused pretty hard. I am the 2nd owner.
djmunsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #97

Garage
slip #4 sleeve at 33k on a 2000 S

Perfect car. Just had a major service last month. No issues. Driving along, no warning, no overheating, no warning lights. Just kapow, oil and smoke everywhere.

Looking at $15k repair. Porsche of America declined helping me in anyway. Great company, great car. Not.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #98

udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #99

YES, I currently have one. :-(
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #100

RMS info and suggestions.

Here's a link to another forum with useful information on the subject. Also, below that is the link to my project car's thread. Please read up on both and digest with your mind.

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7139

My Rabbit scheme:
About A Rabbit

evolvesociety is offline   Reply With Quote