Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #1

Garage
Automatic Roof button broken ??

Hey guys - I need some help as this morning I started my car and tried to close the roof on my 2001 Boxster S and it did nothing. I tried opening and closing side of the button but it did absolutely nothing.

Ideas on what issue is and how to fix it?? Please and thank you.

DrCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

relay or fuse is the first place to look. Not sure if there are both in sequence (ie, not sure if there is a fuse and a relay), but it is likely a failure of one of those items.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #3

Is your park brake engaged? Is the park brake indicator light lit up on the dash? If not, then the most likely culprit is the park brake switch in the console. This seems to be one of the most common reasons for tops not working.

I see you are new here so I will suggest you try using the forum search function to research your problem. This topic has come up many many times before so there is no point re-typing all the possible causes when the question has already been repeatedly answered in the past.

It seems to be a recurring problem here that new people come in asking questions that have been already answered to death because they don't bother doing a search first. You don't make many friends around here with that approach. Do your homework and then, if you don't find your answer, post your question. Explain what you have done already to try and fix it and what possible causes you have already eliminated. This will garner positive, helpful responses rather than a bunch of snarly posts telling you that search is your friend.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

Garage
Linderpat - Thanks for your comments, where abouts can I find that particular fuse?

Mark_T - Your right I wouldn't want any 'snarly posts telling you that search is your friend' ummmm someone should listen to their own advice.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #5

Garage
Mark_T - sorry, stressed out... just looking for help
Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #6

No worries - I get the "my car is broken" state of mind. Been there.

If I might risk another suggestion... spend a few evenings reading back through a few months of posts in the general and performance/technical sections. Becoming familiar with the typical issues, symptoms, and solutions for all the common technical issues with these cars will take a lot of the stress out of ownership.

Last edited by Mark_T; 10-11-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote