Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Garage
CEL with some flashing

I have the CEL on, with rough slow idle (600 rpm or so). If I sit at idle for about 30 secs the CEL goes from solid to flashing, slight throttle increase takes it back to solid.

Background - 2000 Boxster S with 78K. Recently took it to a track day, with a known weak AOS, only blew smoke a couple of times while driving in the prev 6 months and would occasionally blow some on start up after a spirited driving session. At the track I had several incidents of fogging for mosquitoes at speed, especially after the real hard left-hander. Instructor was experienced Porsche driver and said not to worry but fix the AOS. CEL came on late in the session and has been with me since (couple of hundred miles). Instructor didn't seem to concerned about CEL as it was most likely related to AOS.

On the way home from the track I noticed rough, slow idle and that has been persistent.

Have since had AOS replaced. CEL came back on about 2 miles later. I kind of expected that mechanic would clean MAF, but it sounds like he didn't.

Will stop at Autozone this PM to see if they can pull codes.

So, I have CEL, rough idle but it runs great other than that. You now know all that I know. Suggestions?

Fhelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
noneoftheabove

When was the last time you changed your air filter? Your MAF can be dirty. What color was the smoke? Have you noticed and difference in your coolant temperature?

I'd start off by cleaning your MAF and changing your spark plugs. The Coil Packs are sometimes known to allow condensation in cracking the rubber. While you're cleaning your MAF disconnect your battery to reset your ECU (resetting all your fuel trim settings) your injectors may also be due for some cleaning.

LR
RoadsideStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhelfrich View Post
I have the CEL on, with rough slow idle (600 rpm or so). If I sit at idle for about 30 secs the CEL goes from solid to flashing, slight throttle increase takes it back to solid.

Background - 2000 Boxster S with 78K. Recently took it to a track day, with a known weak AOS, only blew smoke a couple of times while driving in the prev 6 months and would occasionally blow some on start up after a spirited driving session. At the track I had several incidents of fogging for mosquitoes at speed, especially after the real hard left-hander. Instructor was experienced Porsche driver and said not to worry but fix the AOS. CEL came on late in the session and has been with me since (couple of hundred miles). Instructor didn't seem to concerned about CEL as it was most likely related to AOS.

On the way home from the track I noticed rough, slow idle and that has been persistent.

Have since had AOS replaced. CEL came back on about 2 miles later. I kind of expected that mechanic would clean MAF, but it sounds like he didn't.

Will stop at Autozone this PM to see if they can pull codes.

So, I have CEL, rough idle but it runs great other than that. You now know all that I know. Suggestions?
First of all, any time one of these engines starts spewing smoke is a time to stop and be very concerned.

There should be no reason to clean the MAF, oil from the AOS system enters the intake behind the throttle body and way past the MAF. You may, however , have a lot of oil inside the intake runners. You may have also oiled down your O2 sensors and the cats as well.

Get the codes read, preferably with a Porsche specific system (Durametric, PIWIS, PST II).
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #4

Garage
More info

Stopped at Autozone. Using an Actron tester they came up with a code of P1341. Anyone know what that means?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Stopped at Autozone. Using an Actron tester they came up with a code of P1341. Anyone know what that means?
On a 2000 car, it means the VarioCam timing on Bank 1 is incorrect.

Now, if tested on a Porsche specific system and it gave the same code, you could also read the actual cam angle and could also test the VarioCam unit on Bank 1 to see if it responds, or if it is disconnected.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

Garage
I like Occam's razor. How does one check to see if it is disconnected?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
I like Occam's razor. How does one check to see if it is disconnected?
By testing it with a scanner to see if it operates or not, as well as checking the actual cam angle. Lacking that, you can trace the wiring harness back from the Bank 1 actuator.