Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

litronics don't cycle up or down

upon starting car but work perfect otherwise. Is there a relay for that?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #2

If you have just the litronic upgrade, there is a small computer modules that is required for the self-leveling to work at all, but it only levels the lights when the car is turned on (not neccesarily started).

If you had factory Litronics, then, the slef-leveling works in real-time and uses small adjusters on the back of the lighting cradle (I think is where it is at) and attaches to the suspension.

And finally, if you plugged in Litronic lights with no module, there is no leveling action at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

I've got litronics installed at the factory but after they come on they don't do the upward and then downward cycle before settling on straight ahead, anymore...
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Garage
I had an issue with my factory litronics last year. The DRL's weren't coming on at start up (didn't have the typical up/down leveling occuring).

Posted the issue here and helpful members suggested pulling the relay and tapping it against a hard surface. I tried that with no results, decided to pick up a new relay. Plugged it in and everything worked like new.

Think my problem may have been a bit different than yours but maybe pulling the relay, cleaning contacts and re-installing will help.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

There was also a thread here in regard to Litronics having the same issue where the internals needed some issue resolved as well. I'd suggest some searching to see if it can be found as I just don't recall the solution - meaning was the actuator just disconnected, broken but repalcable, or was it a non-repairable item.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

I just installed a new daytime running light relay as the RS marker lights wouldn't come on ( first problem). Now all the lights come on but neither HID does the leveling cycle after start up ( second problem). This problem started at a different time than the failed marker lights. I would think that another relay that's turned on whenever the lights are, would cycle the Lits' motors... Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I just installed a new daytime running light relay as the RS marker lights wouldn't come on ( first problem). Now all the lights come on but neither HID does the leveling cycle after start up ( second problem). This problem started at a different time than the failed marker lights. I would think that another relay that's turned on whenever the lights are, would cycle the Lits' motors... Thanks for the input.
If they are factory Lits, either a Durametric or PIWIS system can diagnose the fault.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #8

+1 what JFP said.

With the Durametric you can find trouble codes and, more importantly, tilt the Lits up and down. If you're able to move them, then one of the suspension mounted sensors is likely the cause.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

I haven't got a durametric yet. Anyway I can solve this without one?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

To confirm a point on this thread, there are 3 possible Litronic configurations:

1. Factory installation, self leveling when driving, integrated with the car, and you can use PIWIS/Durametric/PTS2 to move the lights and diagnose
2. Litronics retrofit but with no control module, HID low beam, halo hi beam
3. Litronics retrofit + control module, HID low beam rotates up when hi beam is engaged to light the road in conjunction with the halo hi beam

It seems to me that only 1 would do any sort of leveling when you turn the car on. Does #3 do any sort of pivoting/leveling when the car turns on?

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Does #3 do any sort of pivoting/leveling when the car turns on?

Steve
Yes, when the lights are first turned on.........................
Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Actually, if I remember my frustration properly when testing my retrofit the lights dip when the ignition is turned on and not the light switch. So as a self-tester you can follow this procedure to check them:

A) The ignition is turned off and lights are turned off.
B) Turn the lights switch to the On position.
C) Turn the ignition switch tot eh On position.

And you should see the lights dip. If you don't, then check to make sure your lights are fully plugged in the recepticle at the back of the lights. One of mine would not dip fully and I traced it back to a poor connection.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #13

Mine do it only when the light switch is turned on.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Actually, if I remember my frustration properly when testing my retrofit the lights dip when the ignition is turned on and not the light switch. So as a self-tester you can follow this procedure to check them:

A) The ignition is turned off and lights are turned off.
B) Turn the lights switch to the On position.
C) Turn the ignition switch tot eh On position.

And you should see the lights dip. If you don't, then check to make sure your lights are fully plugged in the recepticle at the back of the lights. One of mine would not dip fully and I traced it back to a poor connection.
I've got factory lit's and to complicate matters, DRL. Both lights stopped the 'start up show' at the same time and I've recently had them out of the car numerous times with no change in this function. So I need to determine what instructs the lit's motors to do 'the dance'.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Mine do it only when the light switch is turned on.
This. Tried it today. With lights on first, then start car, lights dip and rise. You can hear the motors.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote