Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Boxster (auto) won't go into drive or gear... Suggestions?

So we're diagnosing a Boxster that won't go into any gear but park (automatic transmission). I flushed some heavily used transmission fluid, oil, and change the filter... then checked the shifter cable, which is not cracked or damaged, the cable is able to push and pull the arm on the side of the transmission, so I don't think there is any issue there.... Anyone ever hear of a computer issue or a simple or common problem with these transmissions that would prevent them from going into gear?

Thanks for anything possible solutions you can think of,

Adam

aftabulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

aftabulis
Adam,

I think you have either a issue with the brake switch or the ignition switch.

With my 1999 Boxster, I cannot shift out of park when I depress the brake pedal.

I changed the brake switch, but the problem remained.

I can hear a faint clicking noise from the ignition switch as I attempt to press the button on the shifter. I am on my second ignition switch.

My temporary solution to the problem is this:

a) Depress the brake pedal, and at the same time push down on the shift button and turn the ignition switch.

It works everytime for me. I will continue with this technique until I work up the nerve to change out the faulty ignition switch.

My two-cents.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Im gonna try this now, if this works I'll see your 2 cents and raise you 5 g's for a new tranny... Seriously thank you for the input

aftabulis is offline   Reply With Quote