Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Seat Belt Alarm Silencer

Hi. I've put in GT3 seats in my '01 Boxster S, and intend to mount a Schroth Profi II GT3 6-pt harness, later this week. I'd like to leave my existing 3-pt seat belts in place and functional, or just disconnect them by the large bolt near the floor at the rear of the seat. Pelican sells a "Seat Belt Buckle to Silence Buzzer" for $25 each, but eBay is filled with cheaper options. Unfortunately, I can't figure out which one would work. Has anyone here found a cheaper option for silencing the alarm or successfully bought off of eBay? Thanks.

iaincamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

You could unplug it- not sure if it's the same alarm for 'lights on', etc. Are the GT3 seats real OEM? If so, how hard was it to install?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

The GT3 seats were OEM from a 996 GT3, purchased used from Polar Porsche. They are a simple and direct bolt-in replacement (4 bolts and two locating studs) and the stock 3-point belts work. The wiring harness underneath the seat is compatible though there are fewer wires. Even though I disconnected the battery during the work, the airbag/seat sensor light is on, which is a known complication. I am told that it can be reset at a dealer in about 30 minutes, but I think I'll just put a sticker over it. I looked at buying an aftermarket Recaro, but by the time you get all the various adapters for mounting and belts, the price was similar to what I paid, so I thought this was a better deal with better potential resale. Also, the height of the opening for the shoulder belts works with my personal measurements.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

Not sure if it works the same in the Porsche, but I know with my Ford 4x4 I was able to disable the alarm by using a code and sequence with the ignition key to silence the alarm. I found this on the Ford fórum. Maybe someone on this fórum know how to do this.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

On my 987 I made silencers out of 1/8" thick lexan. I just traced the outline of the seat belt latch and cut them to size. I didn't recreate the entire latch, just the 3/4" wide section that inserts into the buckle. When I got an extra set of buckles for my track seats, I cut the connectors off of them and shorted the wires together. These plug into the connector under the seat and keep the alarm silenced without having to mess with the silencers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaincamp View Post
Hi. I've put in GT3 seats in my '01 Boxster S, and intend to mount a Schroth Profi II GT3 6-pt harness, later this week. I'd like to leave my existing 3-pt seat belts in place and functional, or just disconnect them by the large bolt near the floor at the rear of the seat. Pelican sells a "Seat Belt Buckle to Silence Buzzer" for $25 each, but eBay is filled with cheaper options. Unfortunately, I can't figure out which one would work. Has anyone here found a cheaper option for silencing the alarm or successfully bought off of eBay? Thanks.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Most believe the air bags are disabled when the air bag light is lit.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Correction:

Yes, the seats are a direct bolt-in replacement, but because there is no height adjustment, I am too tall to wear a helmet, at 6'0", even with a BK roll-bar extension. Therefore, I had to buy BK brackets for both seats at $176/ea (less a small discount) and have a harness bar fabricated ($175) to get the shoulder belts at the right angle. Throw in the cost of 2 Schroth Profi II 6-pt harnesses and 2 tow hooks and you have a rather expensive morning, even without the Hans device. (A 30 degree Hans seemed to work best with these seats). Many thanks to the friendly and hyper-competent staff at Stable Energies in NJ for getting it all right. Let's hope I never find out how well it all works.