Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Unhappy Ignition/steering lock/central locking problems

Need some help please guys.

This morning after removing the key, it would not go back into the ignition, central locking wouldn't work and steering lock wouldn't engage, I bought a new ignition switch and fitted it this afternoon.

Now I can insert the key, start the car and remove the key without difficulty, but central locking and steering lock still don't work! Pressing the fob won't lock the car, nor open the rear boot (trunk), if I lock the car using the key, it locks the drivers door and the horn beeps once, the passenger door does not lock.

If I lock the car from the inside by pressing the lock button on the dash both doors lock. The steering lock won't engage at all.

During the change of the ignition switch when I removed the old switch i heard the the steering lock activate as i removed the old ignition switch, and I was able to lock and unlocked the car with the fob, but only the one time. Once I installed the new switch and reassembled, the steering lock and fob lock stopped working again.

So to recap, I've installed a new switch and the central locking and steering lock don't work, I can insert, remove and start the car, but still dosn't feel right, I think it may be the barrel assembly itself as when I turn the key to position zero there is no click, I think the car still thinks the key is in the ignition so won't engage steering lock or central looking, this would also explain why it won't lock the passenger door when I lock manually with the key (safety feature so no one can be locked in the car?)
I assume I need a new barrel assembly/steering lock housing?

Buy Porsche Boxster (986 / 987 / 981) Boxster 986 2.7L 1999-02 Ignition Switch | Design 911 this one. Does this sound correct?
The car is garaged so its not a water/damp issue (under seat is dry) Fuses maybe? Help!
Any other explanations/ideas or help very gratefully received

Le Samourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Okay I've managed to secure the car (including passenger door) using the turn key three times emergency locking procedure, so at least it's secure and the passenger lock is functional, but what's the problem behind it?
Le Samourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem.
Did you manged to get to the bottom of it ?

Thank you.
Wolfy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Samourai View Post
Need some help please guys.

This morning after removing the key, it would not go back into the ignition, central locking wouldn't work and steering lock wouldn't engage, I bought a new ignition switch and fitted it this afternoon.

Now I can insert the key, start the car and remove the key without difficulty, but central locking and steering lock still don't work! Pressing the fob won't lock the car, nor open the rear boot (trunk), if I lock the car using the key, it locks the drivers door and the horn beeps once, the passenger door does not lock.

If I lock the car from the inside by pressing the lock button on the dash both doors lock. The steering lock won't engage at all.

During the change of the ignition switch when I removed the old switch i heard the the steering lock activate as i removed the old ignition switch, and I was able to lock and unlocked the car with the fob, but only the one time. Once I installed the new switch and reassembled, the steering lock and fob lock stopped working again.

So to recap, I've installed a new switch and the central locking and steering lock don't work, I can insert, remove and start the car, but still dosn't feel right, I think it may be the barrel assembly itself as when I turn the key to position zero there is no click, I think the car still thinks the key is in the ignition so won't engage steering lock or central looking, this would also explain why it won't lock the passenger door when I lock manually with the key (safety feature so no one can be locked in the car?)
I assume I need a new barrel assembly/steering lock housing?

Buy Porsche Boxster (986 / 987 / 981) Boxster 986 2.7L 1999-02 Ignition Switch | Design 911 this one. Does this sound correct?
The car is garaged so its not a water/damp issue (under seat is dry) Fuses maybe? Help!
Any other explanations/ideas or help very gratefully received
I just installed one on a 99. Try rotating the wheel back and forth until you hear it lock. Or you might have the switch installed upside down.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote