Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

Angry check engine light

Hi while driving my 2002 986 boxster the check engine light came on and stayed on does this spell disaster please help a damsel in distress !!

Fungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You need to have the code read with a scan tool. Could be anything.
Many auto parts stores will do it for free.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
A steady CEL means check the engine soon so get it to someone with the proper code reader for diagnostics. If the CEL is flashing, do not drive the car. A flashing CEL means their is something potentially serious going on.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

Autozone, Advance Auto, Checker Auto, etc. will scan it for free. (I have a CEL with a P0420 and not worried about it).
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
I am No. 1348

Garage
If she is in Oxford, UK, I don't think they have those named auto parts stores????
Old 05-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

Basically, the light is just telling you that something isn't quite right. It may be as simple as an exhaust sensor that had a hissy fit and gave off weird values, and is now back to normal, or it could be telling you there's a misfire, etc. Usually it's something really simple, but the code will tell you exactly what's going on - so no need to panic.

I'm in the UK. Your first option is to get a garage to do it. Halfords do a diagnostics check, but it's £50. A lot of places will try to charge, but your best bet is to try and ring around and see if you can get it done for free.

The second option is the easiest. Buy a WiFi OBD2 adapter on Ebay (about £10) and download an OBD app to your phone and read the code yourself (OBD Fusion for iOS, or Torque for Android) The adapter plugs into the diagnostics port of your car in the footwell, you connect your phones WiFi to the adapter (like you would to your internet in your house), launch the app and the code will pop up. You'll also have the ability to clear the app too. Really easy

When I bought the car, I had an error code telling me one of the lambda (oxygen) sensors on the exhaust was reading way too much air. I looked at the sensor just underneath the back of the car and it was loose - tightened it up, cleared the code myself with the app, and all has been fine since.

So yeah. Don't panic, get someone to read the code or do it yourself for cheap

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #7

It could be as simple as an oil or gas cap loose.

Before you get somebody to read the fault codes check the basics, and
good luck. TLC
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #8

Talking of check engine light!

Funny thing happened to me on Saturday.
I drove out of the driveway and up the road about 100 yards - forgot my phone so did a u turn back down the hill and all of a sudden car runs rough and engine light flashes for about 3 seconds - then it's fine. Checked with OBDII and no codes and car runs perfect!
I check filler cap, oil cap and all OK.
Any ideas?
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I drove out of the driveway and up the road about 100 yards - forgot my phone so did a u turn back down the hill and all of a sudden car runs rough and engine light flashes for about 3 seconds - then it's fine. Checked with OBDII and no codes and car runs perfect!
Any ideas?
Had a similar event with my 2003 996S. Wrote it off as a piece of dirt making its way through the fuel system and injectors. Never recurred and I never came up with a better explanation.

FYI, the CEL flashes quite brightly in a dark car at night
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
Any ideas?
Track guys know that occasionally after a hard turn, you might get a smoke bomb, often accompanied by a flashing cel and sometimes throwing a code for a misfire and something about damaging cats and all. Seems odd on the street after a u-turn but if your oil level was quite high, it is a possibility.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #11

I didn't think a normal CEL could turn itself off unless it was cleared? That's why I said to check it but I could be completely wrong there!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:19 AM   #12

Do European cars have SAI ?
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #13
Artist, 986S tinkerer

A cel will clear itself if the condition is no longer present. The related code will still be there though.

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote