Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
Litronics problem

I've got a problem with the brights on my 1999 C4. The headlights are litronics. The low beams are fine, but when I hit the brights, the low beams turn off and all I get are the brights, and the pattern is terrible. On my 2000 Boxster ( also Litronics) when I hit the brights, the low beams stay on along with the brights and the lights look great.
Any ideas on getting both beams to stay on for the 996? FWIW, the C4 was originally sold in Canada, so it has a couple minor differences. Could that be it??

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #2

I just did a little research on your question and it looks like most canadian cars use their high beams as DRLs on low power. I also found that it varies between manufacturers and model years whether or not the high beams cut off the low beams, even in the U.S.. Because the low beam turns off when you turn on the high beams they are probably hooked up to a relay which flips a switch between them. You could find the relay and bypass it with the low beam wiring so that it stays on when the relay is switched. Someone may be able to come up with a wiring schematic for the canadian version for you to check.

Another possibility is the actual stalk with the controls is damaged but many cars were made with the lights functioning this way so I doubt it.

My litronics on the boxster keep the low beams on as well but were added recently to the car so it could come down to manufacturing date or location.
BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I've got a problem with the brights on my 1999 C4. The headlights are litronics. The low beams are fine, but when I hit the brights, the low beams turn off and all I get are the brights, and the pattern is terrible. On my 2000 Boxster ( also Litronics) when I hit the brights, the low beams stay on along with the brights and the lights look great.
Any ideas on getting both beams to stay on for the 996? FWIW, the C4 was originally sold in Canada, so it has a couple minor differences. Could that be it??
If the car has factory installed Lits, you can use the Durametric software, or a PIWIS system, to scan the system and exercise the functions to see what is up. Factory Lits can also throw codes as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

my car, original to Canada, uses the low-beams (lits) for DRL.