Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #21
bmussatti

Has anyone put these on the 987 or 987S??

Jim, they sound like they are adjustable. What process do you use to "fine tune" them for your particular car, situation or driving style??

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Has anyone put these on the 987 or 987S??

Jim, they sound like they are adjustable. What process do you use to "fine tune" them for your particular car, situation or driving style??

Thanks.
Frank,

They aren't really adjustable. You just want to have the Car on level ground and adjust the length of the CrossBar to span between the two Strut Towers, all the while neither moving them closer, or farther apart, than their neutral state when on flat, level Ground.

I suppose that you could Cant the Car in some way to get a (-) or (+) value to the Tower Spacing, but this would interfere with Camber settings, etc. and would only serve to eat Tires and/or degrade Handling. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #24

Hi,

They both look like they'll probably do the job nicely.

The first, a Front Brace appears to be Racing Dynamic's CF version. It is usually more expensive than their Brace with Alloy Crossbar, but this one is at a good price, especially for CF. CF isn't really mandatory because lightness isn't much of a consideration (you're losing maybe 5-10oz. with CF) and there's no real difference in strength in this application. Also, the Brace is not visible, so the WOW factor is missing as well. But, as I said, it will function well.

The second looks identical to the one I am using except that mine is not zinc-chromate annodized (gold), which is really only cosmetic anyway. Like the Front Brace, the Rear is shielded from view by the Top mechanism. But again, it should function well. Again, an excellent price - I paid a little under $250 for each of mine - wish I'd found them at these prices... :ah:

Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #25

Sorry for the cross post but there's some more strut info here

Rear strut brace question

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930
Sorry for the cross post but there's some more strut info here

Rear strut brace question
Hi,

Good Stuff!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The second looks identical to the one I am using except that mine is not zinc-chromate annodized (gold), which is really only cosmetic anyway. Like the Front Brace, the Rear is shielded from view by the Top mechanism. But again, it should function well. Again, an excellent price - I paid a little under $250 for each of mine - wish I'd found them at these prices... :ah:

That's the Schnell, sold by Vertex, that I've been posting about in these threads. I paid $119 on sale last month.

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #28

I ordered the Racing Dynamics front strut brace for my 987S and should have it soon. I haven't seen a complimentary rear brace made by Racing Dynamics yet so I'll just start with the front brace. The only rear brace I have seen was the Schnell product and I'd rather wait for something else.

I'll post my impressions but given this is a open top car I would think strut braces are a no brainer.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #29

thanks

I just ordered the carbon fiber one off of eBay. Do you people think that the cf is the same strength as the original aluminum composed ones?

How does the brace work?
Once installed, does the bar help limit the pulling or the pushing out?

<<------>>(pushing)
or
>>------<< (pulling)

keeps it from pulling?
or pushing
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #30
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I ordered the Racing Dynamics front strut brace for my 987S and should have it soon. I haven't seen a complimentary rear brace made by Racing Dynamics yet so I'll just start with the front brace. The only rear brace I have seen was the Schnell product and I'd rather wait for something else.

I'll post my impressions but given this is a open top car I would think strut braces are a no brainer.

Carl AMG, where did you buy it? Are you going to install it yourself? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I think this would be a very nice mod. Do you give up much on the storage capacity in the back trunk?

Pix pls!

There is an extreme lack of space in my front trunk because of the amps, spare tire (I left out the factory cd changer there too). The rear strut goes inside the flap to store the soft top), so luckily the rear trunk is basicaly unaffected.

I wasn't able to mount the rear strut because I ran out of time yesterday (it was a pain to install as the bolts stand at such an odd position). Will try finishing it hopefully today or tomorrow.

Will post pix soon
Old 01-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
That's the Schnell, sold by Vertex, that I've been posting about in these threads. I paid $119 on sale last month.

Jack
Ditto on that one too. I think the designer of this strut brace miscalculated because everything on that strut is seemed to be off by half an inch or so
Old 01-31-2006, 05:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Carl AMG, where did you buy it? Are you going to install it yourself? Thanks.
I ordered it from http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/rd-997.99.00.010.htm and I will install it myself. I understand it should be an easy installation (at least on the front brace) for the Boxster. I have installed braces on other cars and it is typically very easy.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #34
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I ordered it from http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/rd-997.99.00.010.htm and I will install it myself. I understand it should be an easy installation (at least on the front brace) for the Boxster. I have installed braces on other cars and it is typically very easy.

CarlAMG, please report back after the install. Let us know how long the job takes and the handeling results. Thanks!!

Last edited by bmussatti; 03-03-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #35

saw some for cheaper...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/strutbraces.html

paid 50 dollars more...

Oh well.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #36
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley1

BobMarley, FYI, EagleDay will price match. They have done this for me in the past. If you purchased it recently, you may want to call them and kindly request a refund or credit towards a future purchase. All they can say is no!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #37

rear strut brace instructions (lack there of)

I've read this entire thread and so far, I've installed the front RD brace, no problem (it came with instructions). I won the rear Schnell bar in an auction at Porsche Palooza but like others have stated here, it came with zero written instructions.
An e-mail to Schnell has turned up zip as well. Can anyone supply at minimum a picture of one installed? At best, some written instructions for some one of "smarter than the average bear"intelligence? I had the engine cover of mine yesterday, as well as pulled up/down most of the liner in the rear storage area as I was doing my routine oil change and spark plug change. I couldn't see or find the mounting bolts to attach the darn thing to. Did I not go far enough in removing items?

Thanks for any guidance from others who have walked this path ahead of me.

Carl
cs9314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #38
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs9314
I've read this entire thread and so far, I've installed the front RD brace, no problem (it came with instructions). I won the rear Schnell bar in an auction at Porsche Palooza but like others have stated here, it came with zero written instructions.
An e-mail to Schnell has turned up zip as well. Can anyone supply at minimum a picture of one installed? At best, some written instructions for some one of "smarter than the average bear"intelligence? I had the engine cover of mine yesterday, as well as pulled up/down most of the liner in the rear storage area as I was doing my routine oil change and spark plug change. I couldn't see or find the mounting bolts to attach the darn thing to. Did I not go far enough in removing items?

Thanks for any guidance from others who have walked this path ahead of me.

Carl

Hi Cs9314, maybe this old thread, with pictures, will assist your effort:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4912-rear-strut-brace-question.html?highlight=strut+brace
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #39

thanks!

Man do I feel stupid! As soon as I saw the 1st picture, I realized how close I was and how easy it should have been.
Thanks, that thread solves the mystery for me.

Carl
cs9314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #40
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs9314
Man do I feel stupid! As soon as I saw the 1st picture, I realized how close I was and how easy it should have been.
Thanks, that thread solves the mystery for me.

Carl
Carl, glad I could help! Go Cardinals. Repeat??