Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #1

replacing pads w/o rotors?

My brakes are squealing pretty badly. It looks like my rear pads needs to be replaced. I called the local Porsche dealership to inquire on pricing and they said that they never just replace the pads w/o the rotors? I'm wanting to do it myself but living in a townhome with an uneven parking space makes it difficult to safely prop the car up. IS the dealership's recommendation valid?

fefyfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #2

You should be able to do the pads several times before needing discs, provided they are in OK shape and the thickness still meets specs. Sounds like the dealership is just trying to be 100% sure there is no remaining issue with the brakes, which is easy to do when it is your money.

The pads on a Boxster are incredibly easy to swap out. You do still have your "where can I jack it up safely?" issue, but you have to have a friend somewhere with a flat parking space? It is a quick job, even if you are going to change the brake fluid at the same time.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #3

Please note that my brake pads squeek and squeal a lot, and my pads are fairly new. Taking a hose with a nozzle on it and shooting a strong stream of water all over your rotors, front and back is recommended every time you hand wash your car. This removes a lot of the brake dust that causes the noise.

Of course, if the pads are worn, replace them. To prove DonV's post, I just had my pads replaced earlier this year and my Porsche certified independent mechanic said, "I think these original disks can go one more pad cycle before being replaced." He just replaced the pads.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefyfo
I called the local Porsche dealership to inquire on pricing and they said that they never just replace the pads w/o the rotors?
If I could make an extra $1K with new rotors and you were willing to put them on, I'd say the same thing.

My front rotors lasted 62K miles, the rear now have 72K and are still above min. thickness by about 1mm. There is only 2mm wear available on new rotors so they wear pretty well.

Your squeal has nothing to do with the rotor. It's the back of the pad rubbing on the pistons. If you use the dampers that are available to keep the pad still against the pistons or use some Disc Brake Quiet you should eliminate the squeal.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #5

Hi,

Brake Squealing is NOT usually an indication of Pad Wear, it's more a case of Pad Glazing or Hanging Caliper. When the Pads have worn very thin, there can be insufficient Mass to avoid a resonent vibration, but your Wear Indicator would most likely come on before this.

Brakes will make a grinding noise when the Pad Material is all worn away, add to this that your Brake Wear Indicator Light will come on well before this also.

By removing a Wheel, you can sight through the Caliper and see how much Friction Material remains on the Pads.

Try making several Medium Hard Stops from 60-80MPH down to 50MPH without Locking the Brakes. Allow 300-400 Yards between Stops and see if this doesn't clear up the issue.

If not, and you have sufficient Friction Material left, pull the Pads and Champfer the edges of the Pad Material 45° with a File. This will allow the Pads to reseat themselves evenly against the Discs. Also, take some 40 Grit Sandpaper using a Square block of wood and rough up both the Pads and the Discs to remove any Glazing which may have occured. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Try making several Medium Hard Stops from 60-80MPH down to 50MPH without Locking the Brakes. Allow 300-400 Yards between Stops and see if this doesn't clear up the issue.
That's a great way to get rid of the glazing, but the guy behind you thinks you're a freakin' idiot. I've done that with the 928 a few times and it worked well.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Thanks for all the advice. I noticed that I don't squeal during the day....that sounded weird. It usually squeals during night time driving. Anywho, I think I'll put some Brake Pad Quiet on them this weekend. Much thanks to everyone again.

fefyfo is offline   Reply With Quote