Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Check Engine Light Came On!

I was coming home from a friends house and started the car up,with no problems. Drove for a couple of minutes till I looked to see how fast I was going,and to my surprise I found the check engine light on(could have possibly been on from when I fired it up,I wasnt paying too much attention). The car drove fine,no hesitation,odd sounds etc. As soon as I noticed the light I consulted with a friend who has a Boxster and he said it could be my MAF. Makes sense,I have a K & N Air Filter. It has been on since 46k I beleive,no reoiling etc. No other modifications have been made mechanically. Just looking for some input on what you think it could be. If I remember correctly is there a tool,I think its a OBD II reader, I can use at a Autozone to check the code?

Old 01-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Get the code read...guessing is futile! Even after having the code read you may end up going the wrong direction since problems in one part of the emissions system may cause other parts to overcompensate... and set a code concerning the incorrect part (O2, MAF, etc...)
Old 01-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #3

The code reader may give you a MAF code, or it may give you oxygen sensor codes on bank 1 AND bank 2 or a combination of both the MAF and O2 (bank1/2). If it gives both banks, then it is likely the MAF sensor gone bad, and you can ignore the o2 sensor codes. If it gives no maf code, and just an O2 sensor on bank 1 OR bank 2 then the culprit is a bad o2 sensor on that side (you will replace both pre and post o2 sensors on that one side if this is the case).

I am suprised the K&N hasn't blown the MAF sooner, it seems to be the trend.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #4

I will be stopping at the local Autozone tommorow to barrow their OBD II reader. I notice today when I was driving that the idling was off just a tiny bit and that when I went to give it gas half the time it was if the car lost 50 ponies. But at other times it was fine. What could I use to clean the MAF if that is the culprit.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #5

We have tried the recommended electronics cleaner (i can't remember what it was called, you poured it in a cup, soaked the sensor for 20 minutes and that was that.....can't seem to locate the bottle at the moment), but it proved to be a short term fix only. Proper thing to do is to replace the sensor if it is bad.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #6

The only time the CEL came on was when the gas station dude didn't screw the cap on right.
They'll read the CEL code for you at Jiffy Lube as well as at AutoZone.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #7

I had my CEL come on this weekend and didnt drive the car all weekend. I have OBD scanners at work so I waited till monday morning to check it out. It was a code for air fuel meetering.. apparently after a hard drive on saturday, it almost stalled at some point.. I dont know why but this triggered the CEL. I reset it with no problem and car is fine. I do have an Evolution Intake kit installed and this can sometimes mess with the MAF. I have started and driven the car a dozen times since the reset with no apparent problems!

Keep your fingers crossed.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #8

Me Too, CEL

Hey ---
Looking at blinkwatt's and audioguy's posts, I realize I'm not the only one with the mysterious CEL appearing. I was in the middle of a 3rd gear passing (OH Yeah!) action with my 2K-S when my CEL came on. NO noticable problems. Checked fluid levels. Thought about dirty intake system filter(s). Although I haven't been into it, I'm told the car has a performance intake system. Stock exhaust.

As for the guy with the 'new" strut brace(s). Hey, go with quality. You get what you pay for, right? When you pay, you're also getting some engineering behind the stuff you're buying. How does it go:

FAST. RELIABLE. CHEAP. PICK ANY TWO! DO WITHOUT THE THIRD.

Will get an OBD II check, MAF check and left and right sensors checked (as needed).
BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #9

Well I ordered a Actron Pocketscan from eBay for only $55. It should arrive by next Friday. Will I be ok driving my car for that long? Or should I try not to use it as much?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #10

You can drive when the light is solid. DO NOT drive if the light is flashing. Only performance will suffer at this point. No harm to the car.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #11

Question Obd Interface

If I borrow or buy a code reader, where is the OBD interface? And, once I get the fault codes, assuming they aren't printed in four languages on a little slip of paper in the vacu-pak, where can I get a translation for the codes without becoming a phone pest?
BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #12

Plug in the OBD code reader to the port located where the drivers left knee is. You can't miss it. As for the codes...check renntech.org for a list of the codes given.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #13

I just ran the OBD II I just received in the mail. The codes are P1123 and P1125,I cleared then in a attempt to see if it was a fluke or not.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #14

O2 Sensors! Start saving your money! Eventually you will be replacing these or the MAF. All 4 of mine starting going one by one at 48,000 and the MAF was replaced at 52,000...all under warranty. The total cost would have been something like $1300.00 at the dealership I took the car to.