Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Garage
Need Audio Recommendation ?

Looking for a recommendation regarding a new head unit for the D-mobile. I've decided to yank the CDR-220, and install something that will allow for ipod play back. And, I want a unit that's simple and straightforward that I will look appropriate. My goal is not to achieve ultimate sound quality (I know it would take more than just a head unit, not to mention the fact that boxster is clearly the wrong vehicle for such an undertaking), as I'd like to be able to access more music. Also, the D-mobile came from the factory with the upgraded sound package, to include the DSP gizmo. I suspect that most of it will have to be bypassed eh ?

p.s. As far as using the aux/input on the back of the oem radio is concerned, been there done that.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Camibox

Garage
I'm no audiophile. We picked up a Pioneer, DEH 6500 I think on sale. 52w X 4. PO had already cut/spliced the rear speakers at the amp. Amp and CD are removed. Picked up a plug adapter from crutchfield. Not difficult. Tip: AA battery, test which wires go to which speaker. Sounds good even with the top down. Good luck
Camibox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Garage
Me too

I'm also considering an audio upgrade for my '01 S. I'm planning to go double DIN flat touch screen and move the HVAC control down. There are many options out there for what I want. I'm leaning toward the Kenwood DNX570HD. Like you, I'm not looking for audiophile quality, but want features. This unit gives me access to my digital music on my iPhone, navigation (by Garmin), Bluetooth connectivity, hook up for rear-view camera and it has a rotary volume knob.

I'll be watching this thread to see what comes up.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not looking to move, change or modify anything. Nor am I looking for a head unit with a lot of gizmos. A quality radio/CD/ipod ready unit that's plug n' play. Recommendation welcome.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

JD:

I don't have a specific recommendation. I've wrestled, however, with this issue myself. So here are some things to consider even though your looking for a basic head unit. Do you want a single or double DIN head unit? Whatever the choice, does the unit look like it belongs in a Boxster or is it all glitter and flash? Is there an adapter available that allows one to easily connect the new head unit into the cars existing system without cutting and splicing wires? Does the new head unit itself put out a quality signal so that downstream there is the possibility of decent sound? Will the new head unit allow one to upgrade the system should you decide to do that later?

I'll watch this thread closely looking for guidance. I did upgrade my system years ago and my head unit is the weak link. It looks great in the car, but the FM/AM output stinks. And it's pre-iPod vintage.

BTW: I use my iPhone $ instead of my iPod. If you have an IPhone 5, keep in mind it has a different output port than the 4.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

About the best single din on the high street is the alpine cde 149 .
Hands free , Bluetooth streaming , pandora. Digital radio , iPod ready etc . Etc. all for sub 300 .

About the best for a factory look is one of the becker series . Not sure on models as I Have not bothered looking for a while .

Nakamchi also look good and can be had on a really good price if you only want the basics of cd , radio , and iPod through on aux , but second best to a Becker for factory look .
As before , I can't give Model numbers as I have not been looking , but I fitted one to my last 964 I sold and it was around 150 . This was about 4 years ago though ....

If you want double dn there are many options , but I will be removing the clarion currently fitted and installing an alpine 927 .
Everything that's current all in a 7" touchscreen with 4volt outputs , and her other car will have the 928 8" version so its not too confusing

The top-line pioneer offering appears to be on a par , but no 8" version yet .

Last edited by Ian c; 07-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
About the best single din on the high street is the alpine cde 149 .
Hands free , Bluetooth streaming , pandora. Digital radio , iPod ready etc . Etc. all for sub 300 .

About the best for a factory look is one of the becker series . Not sure on models as I Have not bothered looking for a while .

Nakamchi also look good and can be had on a really good price if you only want the basics of cd , radio , and iPod through on aux , but second best to a Becker for factory look .
As before , I can't give Model numbers as I have not been looking , but I fitted one to my last 964 I sold and it was around 150 . This was about 4 years ago though ....

If you want double dn there are many options , but I will be removing the clarion currently fitted and installing an alpine 927 .
Everything that's current all in a 7" touchscreen with 4volt outputs , and her other car will have the 928 8" version so its not too confusing

The top-line pioneer offering appears to be on a par , but no 8" version yet .
I wasn't aware that Nakamichi was still in the car audio business ?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #8

IIRC, my radio is a Nakamichi CD400.Looks very good in the car, but I can't recommended it. It doesn't do well at all on rough roads and the AM/FM reception / output stinks.I've heard Nikimachi abandoned the US market over support issues.

Pioneer has a nice radio that looks good to my eye. It the model DEH-x9500BHS.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

Garage
Anyone else have that funky DSP option in his or her boxster ?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

JD, I can think of two things of major importance for you for whatever HU you look at:

1st: Bluetooth. Don't buy anything without it. It's a simple as that. Not only can it provide a hands free kit, even if you decide not to use it, but it can provide connectivity to your phone for audio playback.

2nd: Signal to noise ratio. Particulalry for FM sensitivity. CD as well. Assuming you like to listen to the radio or a CD/DVD.

I have tweaked my system with a Kenwood 9980HD DD HU, but mostly because I want/demand a Garmin GPS. I can update the maps almost forever. There are things you can do to them that no others support. Plus the sensitivy it very good. But most importantly I can play Pandora on it without a subscription, without any commericals, and have an unlimited data plan so it doesn't cost me anything more to have the channel/music I want when I want it.

It also worked fine with the stok amplifier and speakers. I have since repalced both, but still have my door subwoofers to install. That just needs to wait until it cools down again.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I wasn't aware that Nakamichi was still in the car audio business ?
It was a few years ago , and it was on a trip back to England "tying up loose ends"
You could well be right .
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #12

Garage
How about something like this ?

Kenwood KIV-BT901
Digital media receiver
3-inch color TFT display
built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling
PANDORA® connectivity, iPod and Zune control

Kenwood KIV-BT901 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #13

If you need to watch videos on a badly placed 3" screen , go for it .
Otherwise save yourself 80 bucks and get the alpine and cd and hd radio capability as well

You'll save a further 20-30 bucks buying amazon/eBay or price matching like my local store does ...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD149BT/Alpine-CDE-HD149BT.html?showAll=N&search=Alpine_cde_149&skipvs=T

Last edited by Ian c; 07-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #14

My installation was more complicated than yours due to the nasty fibre optics of the CDR23 so I had to remove the amplifier. I have the Pioneer 940BT and replaced the Porsche amplifier with a Alpine 2 channel unit and added rear speakers. Front and rear speakers are connected to the Pioneer and the subs in the doors are connected to the Alpine amp which is in turn connected to the Pioneer by RCA's. Not a difficult job, there are lots of guides around showing where to cut the fascia, run the RCA and amplifier trigger wire.

Head unit selection is very much personal choice. There is no need these days to opt for a built in satnav unit like mine. The Pioneer Appradio units for example use the hardware in your phone, the phone is plugged into the headunit and displayed on screen by iphone or Android apps. I never use CD's, I have a 16gb micro sd card with all my music on but you can also play music off your phone via a lead or bluetooth music streaming.

Yeah, I know the steering wheel is on the wrong side:

Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Over here the Pioneer appradio is really cheap. I have one and its great value for money.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #16

I get it JD, now that you have upgraded your IMS bearing, you can stop listening for sounds of imminent failure and actually listen to music! Just out of interest, when you say 'been there, done that', I assume that is in reference to the IP-BKR2 for the aux/imput on the Becker CDR-220. I was thinking of getting one for rmy ipod and wondered what problems you experienced?

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
I get it JD, now that you have upgraded your IMS bearing, you can stop listening for sounds of imminent failure and actually listen to music! Just out of interest, when you say 'been there, done that', I assume that is in reference to the IP-BKR2 for the aux/imput on the Becker CDR-220. I was thinking of getting one for rmy ipod and wondered what problems you experienced?

Brad
I had nothing but horrible experiences trying to use the aux input on the back of the CDR-220 radio. I'm no electronics experiment, however, something in the process was causing power to be shunted that resulted in the loss of 3 ipods. While others may have had better results, personally I don't believe the head unit is designed to function in a way that works correctly with an external device such as an ipod or MP3 player.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #18

I seem to recall that Apple changed the voltage for the Ipod at a certain point and that the original wiring harness was designed for the earlier models and would cause damage to newer ones. I also understood that the BKR2 was intended to address that issue, although I may be mistaken. Anyone else?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Anyone else have that funky DSP option in his or her boxster ?
I have the same set up.

Since I really didn't have any problems with the unit/set-up other than not being able to hook up my iPod, I went a different route. If your iPod has bluetooth abilities get the Jabra Cruiser 2. Not only can you hook up your phone for hands-free talking, but it has a built in FM transmitter that works really well. I used it with my iPhone 4S, and now have the iPhone 5, and still runs with no problem. Even when I travel to areas with a lot of FM stations I have not had to change the frequency it was running on. I have streamed Pandora, played my music, and played podcasts, all with no issues.

The battery lasts a long time (usually I end up charging it once every three weeks or so), and it just plugs into the cigarette lighter.

The ONLY thing that you need to be aware of is the volume does need to be a couple of clicks higher to get the same volume that you would get when playing a CD, or listening to regular radio for example. So remember to turn down the radio before turning off the unit.

Otherwise it simply clips to the sun visor and you're done.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #20

JD, I just checked and it seems that Apple changed the charging voltage for its ipod and iphones introduced on and after September 2008 from 12V to 5V. If you had an earlier cable (or another brand), then the 12V will definitely fry a later model Ipod/Iphone. The newer BKR2 is definitely designed to provide 5V. charging and so is compatible. If you are not planning on upgrading the sound, why not just purchase the new cable:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR2.html

Last edited by southernstar; 07-11-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: sp