Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
What is going on?

I came out to my Boxster today from work and I had condensation build up all over my front window. I also had small sections near the front of the side windows. Could it be from the POURING rain the car was out in almost all yesterday? Could the water have built up in the top?

Old 01-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Bump. Any input appreciated.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #3

I have no expertise here, but just a couple thoughts. Unless any seals or weatherstripping have been changed since the car was new, it's possible that some of the rubber is just a little hard and letting moist air in. Based on the news I'm seeing it looks like all you guys north of the bay are literally swimming in floods and the rain has been coming down for days. The humidity must be very high. If it takes leaving the car out all day in pouring rain and saturated air to get condensation inside, I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I came out to my Boxster today from work and I had condensation build up all over my front window. I also had small sections near the front of the side windows. Could it be from the POURING rain the car was out in almost all yesterday? Could the water have built up in the top?
interesting, my 97 had lots of condensation, so much that the door leather part touching the dashboard had mould forming which needed wiping regularly, i found that when the car was driving for a while and was then parked in cold condition the whole glass area would fog up, i believed this is the difference temperature between in and out. i always wondered about the air vents, do they close down when the car is off automatically or do they stay open, if they stay open fresh air should come into the car and help condensation excaping?
this is not happening as much in my S maybe because of the airconditioning system reacting differently ?
any comments or reasons would be appreciated!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #5

Hi,

When was the last time you changed the Cabin Filter? If it got saturated, this could be the culprit.

Also, there are several Drains for the Car and the AC Unit. Over time, these can become clogged with debris and might not allow rain water to fully drain from the Car, check these - also the Door Drains. Clean them with a piece of wire (bent Coat Hanger will work). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #6

No good suggestions for you, blinkwatt. Just a story.
Many years ago my wife and I went to a Halloween party, and parked my brand new '68 Chevelle SS396 on the street in front of the party house. Some hours later we came out to the car and upon opening the door I looked in it and exclaimed, "Look at that ... it's all covered with frost!"
Unfortunately it wasn't frost.
I had left the driver's door vent window (cars had them in those days) open and some local juvenile delinquent had discharged a dry chemical fire extinguisher inside my car. Gray powder everwhere, including inside the instruments and the heater ducts. Every time I turned on the heater that winter a puff of gray powder came out of the vents.
Some trick, no treat.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

When was the last time you changed the Cabin Filter? If it got saturated, this could be the culprit.

Also, there are several Drains for the Car and the AC Unit. Over time, these can become clogged with debris and might not allow rain water to fully drain from the Car, check these - also the Door Drains. Clean them with a piece of wire (bent Coat Hanger will work). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Hi Mn

i don't think water retention in the doors etc.. can be the problem it just seems too much water to deal with for condensation and the water in the door would be at the bottom of it with no heat/cold connection (i don't know if that makes sense to you)
i think it is a different problem, as for the filter i know mine was changed but it was still happening after. and at the time i had no AC unit in my 97

but a thing that happened was a leak behind the seat (driver in my case) that came in running down along the Canvas/Belt system area, i had quite a wet carpet under my seat and i read in a different thread that someone had problem with the electronic box under the seat and water mixing, maybe check the carpet area behind your seats too!
are they be problem with leaks in the boxsters that people heard of before?
the plastic foam/sealant near the belt tensioner had moved and let the water in the cabin and had to be amended and resealed

thanks anyway for your comment it made me thinking!