Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Replaced my rear wheel bearing over the weekend

I read as much as I could on the subject and bought the SIR B90 tool so I could do it in my small garage. I am fairly mechanically inclined so I thought it was a job I could handle. Using the Bentley manual and the instructions on the Dorkiphus site How To: Boxster Rear Wheel Bearings - Dorkiphus.net (you need to register to see the pictures) I got started at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning. I finished (including changing out the rear brake pads) at 3:00 p.m. Total time spent pulling out the old bearing and pressing in the new one = 15 minutes. Total time spent in disassembling and reassembling everything to get the rear axle out = 5 hours and 45 minutes. And that is with no stuck bolts or parts that wouldn't come out. It just takes that long.

But, in the end, I no longer have that rear wheel bearing moaning and groaning.

'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrat's! That is one job that I have not undertaken myself and I am always impressed with those who have!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Hi Kurt,

Just wondering if the SIR B90 included everything that was needed, I've heard of some people renting slide hammers and such.

Thanks
Jim
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Hi Kurt,

Just wondering if the SIR B90 included everything that was needed, I've heard of some people renting slide hammers and such.

Thanks
Jim
Mine was the package that Pelican Parts sells and it included all that was needed and it all fit together perfectly. The actual process of pressing out and pressing in the bearing was very anti-climatic after all the work needed to get to that point. I put the new bearing in the freezer the night before, but I don't think that was even necessary.
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Good job! Did you repack or replace your CV's while you were in there? I see one on the ground...if so, what condition did you find yours in?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Good job! Did you repack or replace your CV's while you were in there? I see one on the ground...if so, what condition did you find yours in?
No I didn't. They only have 51,000 miles on them. The boots are intact and there didn't appear to be any roughness in the bearings as I moved the ends around. In my experience, as long as the boots are intact, the CV joint should last at least 100K miles, if not longer.
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #7

I took mine out and took the carrier to a mechanic and he still charged me 1 hour to remove and replace each bearing. Buying the tool to do it myself would have been cheaper and I'd still have the tool. I never expected to be charged 4.5 hrs. labour!
Nice work Kurt V!