Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

MAF again?

Hi guys..have a technical question for the pro's. Think I know the answer but wanted to run my thoughts past the experts first.
Out for a drive the other day, about 40 mins into the cruise the car starts to hesitate, this is at highway speed. When I come up to a set of lights, depress the clutch the car dies. Fires back up but hunts for an idle. I get to my destination, about 20 mins later it's time to try and make it home. Runs fine at first than again about 1/2 hour into drive the car starts to stumble again.
No check engine light the entire time. I don't have a durametric but I do have an obd scan tool. I pull codes p0103, p1127, p1129 and p0112.
I pull the maf, clean it, unhook the battery to reset everything and all good again.
Today I took the car for a coffee, all good. When I get home I let it idle in the drive way and it's hunting all over, dips, revs up, dips and eventually stalled.
Last Sept I replaced the maf with a $40 eBay Chinese knock off, car ran perfectly for the last 4000 kms. I unplugged the Maf and started the car, won't idle at all. Plugged back in idles but hunts. Thought I would try the old Bosche maf again, won't even idle.
So..back to the Chinese maf,cleaned again, idles ok for a bit then hunts.
I'm thinking the old saying pay once now or twice later applies here, maybe should have just bought the bosche one right from the start?
I can't find any vac leaks by ear or by spraying throttle body cleaner around all the hoses listening for the tell tale increase in rpm. When I pull the oil cap at operating temp the idle surges up so I think the AOS is ok. I know the codes I posted above are maf and o2 sensor related but I have a feeling the maf is the culprit again.
Anyone have any thoughts or guidance?

58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Garage
It all points to a bad MAF again; especially with the P0103 code. Sounds like you got your $40.00 worth out of that Charlie Chan sensor though.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks JD, that was what I was hoping to hear. It was a good ride while it lasted! Anyone have a good supplier for the Bosche MAF? I see some on e-bay for $199 but I'm a little leary even though they are listed as "true Bosche" unit
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Disconnect battery to clear the ECU trims and disconnect MAF, then try it again. It might run a bit rough but it should smooth out as you drive it on the default ECU maps.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Currently no codes, disconnect the maf and it doesnt seem to want to idle...although I didn't try driving, just starting it up.