Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

How to replace a variocam actuator

My shop just called me up and told me the one of the variocam actuator isn't responding (I can't remember which one). They're telling me they need to pull the motor to replace it which is a drag. I'm hoping there is a work around, does anyone have a write up or know whats involved? I'm told the valve cover has to come off which can't happen unless the engine is out of the car. I remember dropping the engine quite a bit when I did the engine mount and I think I could pull the cover without taking the whole engine out. Thoughts?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

You can pull the valve covers in the car. Did it at the shop today. I would pull the solenoid and clean out the valve body of the actuator. I have seen trash get in there an lock the valve up.

Flat 6 Innovations Engine Shop Foreman
bam914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Garage
Porsche dealers don't drop the engine to replace the solenoid or actuator. You need to know if the code indicates it's a solenoid problem. Sounds like you need a new shop too.

What year Box?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

The car went into the shop for a different reason, I never noticed the cam problem. Apparently one bank isn't actuating at high rpms. Is it possible it's stuck because its sitting and will loosen up? It's been sitting for 3 weeks. I know bmws hydronic valves can stick or get air in them when they sit.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

The point is, they're telling you that the motor needs to be removed when indeed it does not... Find another shop and get a second opinion.

At the very least, ask them why they want to remove the engine.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #6

I'm shocked they would mislead me, it's a great Porsche only shop. I'll ask them about it his afternoon an see what they say. It sounds like i should be able get someone to fix it do around 1500 if the interwebs are true. Is it possible that I bought the car like this and never noticed it? I wonder if I've been dragging anchor thIs whole time

It's a 97 by the way
Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I'm shocked they would mislead me, it's a great Porsche only shop. I'll ask them about it his afternoon an see what they say. It sounds like i should be able get someone to fix it do around 1500 if the interwebs are true. Is it possible that I bought the car like this and never noticed it? I wonder if I've been dragging anchor thIs whole time

It's a 97 by the way
It's possible. The solenoid and contacts may just need a good cleaning. Have them follow Bam's advice first. If that doesn't work then look at the solenoid. I don't believe there's a need to remove the engine or the valve cover to clean the solenoid or even replace it.

The idea that they want to remove the engine right out of the gate would concern me a great deal. I would definitely ask him why, and I'd do so without letting him know that you've been told otherwise.

It could be miscommunication or he could be trying to soak you...many of us have had that experience.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #8

I just picked up all the parts to knock this out. How much time am I looking at for he repair?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I just picked up all the parts to knock this out. How much time am I looking at for he repair?
We want to hear the end of the story - What did the shop have to say when you asked them about needing/not needing to remove the engine?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
The Legend

Hi truegearhead,

I'm looking at a similar repair with my VarioCam Actuator on a 98 and was thoroughly disappointed with the lack of documentation for this area (in the Porsche shop manual or online). I'd appreciate if you might take the time to snap a few pictures as you go through your repair.

EDIT: Where did you get the parts and how much did you pay? What special tools did you purchase (ie holding down the cams)?

Best of luck with your repair.
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #11

Why people so often describe a problem, ask for help, gather opinions and suggestions and then just vanish without providing any feedback about the problem solution. Next time someone (like me right now) is looking for threads about the same problem and hit dead ends like this. Really frustrating. People are spending own time to read about your issues, think and even research and post responses. At least be courteous enough to provide feedback about the solution (if solved or still unsolved).
uladzislau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #12

Well said, sir.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

Well, that being said, I recently had a similar problem. After a spirited run, my car wouldnt idle and bogged at low rpms. I took it to the shop, plugged in the durametric, and checked the actual values.

Timing:
Cyl 1-3- 6.2 deg
Cyl 4-6- 19 deg, and fluctuating!

So I immediately assumed something was wrong with the cam timing, so in a panic, I pulled the valve covers off WITH THE ENGINE IN THE CAR, without lowering anything.

Pulled off the cams for cyls 4-6, and couldnt find anything. I took the cam tensioner apart, still nothing. So I took it to the parts cleaner and gave it a thorough lookover on the work bench. The solenoid worked fine with 12V applied to it. As for the piston it presses down on? It was stuck in the actuated position. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers, cleaned it again, and after pressing it a few times, it got stuck again. I had a known good unit on the shelf, so I installed it.

I also installed the cam-brake kit on both sides, which comes with the two chain guide pads and an O-ring. I also changed the spark plugs.

I started the car up, and it ran perfectly. Cam Deviation was +1 and +4 degress, within tolerance and good enough for me.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

I just finished up replacing the #1 bank actuator. its a time consuming job. There is a great write up in the 101 projects for your boxster. But if you don't have that handy I'll walk you through it.
doli3415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #15

I have done it and there is a tuto here
variocam - Tuto changement solénoid variocam

it is in french but you can translate

hope this help
philou320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #16

Le lien ne marche pas !
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #17

just checked, it works

variocam - Tuto changement solénoid variocam
philou320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #18

Since someone revived this thread from the grave I'll add an update. My computer was throwing the variocam code(which I saw). And I replaced the vario-cam which didn't fix the code, the car also continued to engage the variocam after the fix...I then changed out the mass air sensor and it resolved the code. I'm not going crazy, Indy shop verified. Maybe it was a fluke. I hear mass airflow sensors create all kinds of odd problems though.