Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #1

Power friction clutch kit opinions??

Hey guys,

My clutch has just started to slip slightly, has anyone used the power friction clutch kit they have for sale from vertex auto??
It's slightly cheaper than the standard clutch $20 difference, but is claimed to have 29% more clamping force, with no I'll effects.

Has any one tried this kit? Or is it better to get the standard clutch?

Btw: my car is an 2001 3.2s mods include k&n, headers, ecu tune, & about to ad ipd plenum & 74mm throttle body

dsisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

I can't comment on power friction but will warn you that once you get it apart you'll probably find that your dual-mass flywheel is done too. Aluminum, single mass is an option then. Either way, a new flywheel will cost more than the clutch kit.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

do you always have to replace the flywheel?
dsisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsisco View Post
do you always have to replace the flywheel?
Not necessarily. Factors depend on mileage, age, and condition. There is a test to determine if it's on it's way to giving out.

For instance, a TSB regarding the 996's DMF as an example.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/DualFlywheelTechBulletin.pdf

As for the Vertex clutch, I would of tried it had they sold them when I was replacing my clutch. Seems economical, and supposedly hardier. I replaced the Boxster's clutch with a Sachs kit.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

I actually went with the Power Friction clutch kit from Vertex, and installed it last weekend. Their 3 piece kit includes the Sachs pressure plate and TO bearing, so the only difference is the clutch disc.

It's definitely got more clamping force than the stock clutch, I'm really a fan of the way it feels, but I'm on day 3, and probably 20 miles since installation, so I can't speak to the longevity of it.

-Eric

HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote