Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Spark Plug Tube Replacement

Hoping to change the tubes in my 2.7 liter on Saturday.

I have read some say just use motor oil to lube the new O-rings, but won't the oil actually cause them to break down?

I heard someone else say use silicone paste from a hardware store (which I have never used before) but am concerned this may make the tube "stuck" inside of their respective "sleeves"

I didn't buy the expensive Porsche grease (obviously).

Please let me know what you have used and why.

Thanks!

utkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

You're overthinking this. Just smear a little oil on the o-rings with your finger and put them in. It will be fine.

Where you will find the real debate is on whether or not to use anti-seize paste on the plugs. I did, very sparingly.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

Mark - I have been accused of that before!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about this...
Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

The Bentley manual says to lubricate the spark plug tubes with motor oil before reassembly which was reassuring to me. I was happy to see that vs buying the super expensive "Porsche spark plug tube o-ring assembly lube"...

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

The Porsche o ring lube is nothing more than silicone dielectric grease, common auto parts store item, about $5 will get you tube you can use for the rest of your life..........
Old 10-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #6

Yeah, I think that stuff is an attempt by Porsche to prove that Barnum was right.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The Bentley manual says to lubricate the spark plug tubes with motor oil before reassembly which was reassuring to me. I was happy to see that vs buying the super expensive "Porsche spark plug tube o-ring assembly lube"...

Steve
Doh! I just bought that crap and it was $50 a tube from Pelican. I was told it was super important yet I have no idea what to do with it as it's not mentioned in 101 projects book or anything else I've found yet. I'm ready to change my tubes this weekend (and plugs).
101projects said not to use anything on the plugs, so I guess this is only for the o-rings??? (both of them per tube)

On my other cars, I would just do what I normally do, but the Porsche makes me anal about doing it 100% "right" or as Porsche would require for some reason.

Last edited by reiver; 10-25-2013 at 12:44 PM.
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #8

Chalk one up for Barnum!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

I got my tubes in last night - did a "test fit" of the rubber boat plug and it really doesn't tighten too well to get a good internal grip on the new tube.

I can hold the rubber plug in my hand and turn it with a wrench to get it to compress and expand it's own diameter, but I don't think that will be very feasible tomorrow when I can't hold it and also have limited clearance to grip the t-handle with a wrench.

I may have to do like one guy wrote somehere here about cutting my wife's kitchen wash glove to boost the diameter a bit. (Hoping that doesn't get stuck inside the engine though.)

I plan to attack in the morning!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Chalk one up for Barnum!
I have enough for about 200 tube jobs (size of a jumbo toothpaste tube), so feel free to stop by for some lube
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #11

1" arbor from a rubber sanding drum set worked really well for me. The boat plug didn't work worth a damn.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #12

Someone also had a 1" tapered threaded T that he got from home depot or somewhere that he could use to pull out the old tubes with. I think that would work only if you were installing new tubes as I think it would cut into the insides of the tubes being removed.

Steve
Old 10-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Yeah, I think that stuff is an attempt by Porsche to prove that Barnum was right.
At least you don't have to use it when buying/installing the super expensive hardtop hardware mounting kit...