Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

Garage
unidentified small rubber hose

While replacing my motor mount I found a small rubber hose. It was dangling close to the motor mount, wasn't connected to anything and had already been mangled by the serpentine band a bit.
I think the other end is coming from the frunk, see first photo, it isn't connected there either.
It runs underneath the car together with three other small tubes, see second photo.
For the time being I've secured it with cable ties.

Any one knows what this small rubber hose is for?

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Is it the overflow tube for your coolant tank?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Is it the overflow tube for your coolant tank?
Yes, could be that it fell off. But why is it ending up in the frunk?
Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #4

I think it attaches to the engine side of the coolant tube manifold and just hangs down from there and is held in place by one or two clips. It's been a few months since I did the coolant tank job so my memory of how it all goes is a bit fuzzy.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

vent hose for battery?
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #6

I didn't notice that you said it came from the frunk, I just saw the bit about it hanging near the motor mount. Definitely not from the coolant tank then. Sorry, I have no idea what that hose would be.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That to me looks thicker than the overflow hose for the battery, spendy, but it was my first thought too when he mentioned the frunk...but then I wondered why the heck it was ending up all the way back by the engine when that's supposed to run down to the front wheel well. So I guess that's not it. I'm at a loss here, nieuwhzn. Is your coolant overflow hose running down ahead of the right rear wheel well like it's supposed to?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
That to me looks thicker than the overflow hose for the battery, spendy, but it was my first thought too when he mentioned the frunk...but then I wondered why the heck it was ending up all the way back by the engine when that's supposed to run down to the front wheel well. So I guess that's not it. I'm at a loss here, nieuwhzn. Is your coolant overflow hose running down ahead of the right rear wheel well like it's supposed to?
No idea. I'll have a look this weekend when I jack up the car to remove the secondary cats.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

That is the overflow drain hose for the coolant expansion tank.
Autobahn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
So does that mean the whole hose is just sitting there in the frunk? Or is the hose actually running from the tank up to the frunk? Neither makes sense, but if it's disconnected from the tank, you'll definitely want to get it reconnected so any overflowing coolant doesn't just drain out into the trunk, engine bay, or cabin, and instead goes down by the right rear wheel like it's supposed to.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
So does that mean the whole hose is just sitting there in the frunk? Or is the hose actually running from the tank up to the frunk? Neither makes sense, but if it's disconnected from the tank, you'll definitely want to get it reconnected so any overflowing coolant doesn't just drain out into the trunk, engine bay, or cabin, and instead goes down by the right rear wheel like it's supposed to.
I'm as puzzled as you are.
What is the best access to the point where the overflow of the coolant tank is located? Just to check is there is a hose connected there.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #12

The overflow tube attaches to the engine bay side of the coolant tank manifold and hangs down. There should be a couple of clips securing it to another line to hold it in place, although the clips may be gone. You'll need to get under the car by the right rear wheel and peer up with a flashlight to see if it is there.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
The overflow tube attaches to the engine bay side of the coolant tank manifold and hangs down. There should be a couple of clips securing it to another line to hold it in place, although the clips may be gone. You'll need to get under the car by the right rear wheel and peer up with a flashlight to see if it is there.
Thanks! Jacking up th e car again. Tempted to get a car lift.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
When you over flow the gas on fillups…have you noticed the smell in your frunk?

It could be a gas overflow line - just a guess but it would be worth pouring a little gas down there and MAKING SURE it is not a fuel line. My $.02 - remember you got what you paid for!