Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
creseida

Question Replacing Gear Shift Knob

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum to ask this. I am looking to replace my stock 98 shift knob with one from a 2001. I got the boot off without any problem, but how do I remove the knob from the shifter? I do not see any screws or fasteners on either my old one or my new one. It looks like it just pulls off, but I don't want to break anything by yanking on it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
bmussatti

If there are not any set-screws, yes, it just pulls off. There were some recent (November??) threads about this I think from Blinkwatt (forum member).
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
bmussatti

OK, here were the directions that I gave about a month ago:

To remove the boot and knob you would first have to pry gentle up on the bottom edge of it. The bottom of the boot is snapped into the console. Next lift the boot over the knob to expose the back of the shift knob. Should there be a 5mm Allen loosen it and then just lift the knob off of the shaft. All other manual shift knobs without the 5mm Allen are simply pushed on and require more lifting force to be removed on the 986 and 996 models.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
creseida

Thank you. I will look for a set screw in the back. I just didn't want to break the linkage by tugging too hard.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #5

It depends on the knob. The stock skinny knob just pulls off the handle. You must pull very hard to get it off. The square 6 speed knobs have a 5mm allen on the radio side of the shift handle underneath the boot.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
creseida

Thanks for the advice everyone. I put the tranny in 2nd, and pulled up a bit and twisted back and forth and voila...came right off. I have a 98, non-S with a 5-speed.

2001 knob slid right on and looks awesome. I am rather disappointed to see that the stock boot for the 98 is vinyl and not leather. Considering everything else in the car is covered in real leather (dash, door panels, roll bar covers, etc), why cheap out on the gearshift boot?

Now all I need is for the mud and snow to go away to I can take her out for a spin.