Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Texas-T

Garage
Lower Ball Joint reconnection (at Control Arm)

I'm having trouble reconnecting my lower ball joint after replacing the axle with a new CV Joint. (rear pass side '04 3.2L) The control arm is giving me quite a bit of resistance when i push it down, and it is difficult to get it below the top of the ball joint threads. Is there a better way to lower the control arm that wont require touching the alignment bolts? What is the normal procedure for reconnecting these?

tconnarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

control arm

See if you can put a jack under the wheel carrier and push the strut upwards.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Texas-T

Garage
I tried jacking it up but it pushes the wheel carrier outwards and up, which makes it further away from the ball jt. i also tried to restrain it horizontally with a chain and also with a racheting tie strap and both ways it still went out before it went up. any other ideas? i may try to chain (3 or 4) 45 lb barbell weights to the control arm to pull it down, and then supplement it with a little extra muscle... will see how that works. However I am definitely open to other suggestions!

Last edited by tconnarn; 04-11-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

I have done this and it was not all that hard. I just do not remember exactly what I did. You May need to remove it from the chassis and attach it to the wheel carrier first. Is the top of the strut bolted in?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

Garage
Instructions differ so I'm not sure if you removed the bolt shown here as item 10. I tried without removing that bolt and couldn't do it. Once I removed it I was able to slide item 8 inboard and it was easier--but still not easy.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Texas-T

Garage
Thank you, yes I did remove bolt 10 and it allowed me to get it within a quarter inch or so. The strut is still connected at the top also. A friend told me today that it just takes brute force. There is a big storm coming in soon, I'm planning to weight it down and try again this weekend. Thank you
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
I found it helps if the nut at the top of the spindle and other control arm bolts are loosened a bit.

The lower ball joint bolt inserts at the 'final angle' - which you need to be aware of when putting it back in. You do not want to force it that much, finesse it by loosening the other bolts that are holding it. Another option would be to use the joint splitter in reverse (depends on which one you have). Better than 'jacking it up by the bolt to get it in there.'

Also, a little lube goes a long way!

Hopes that helps. If you need to PM or call I can walk you through it. It makes no sense this has taken so long to get done. Meanwhile, you cannot have fun!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Texas-T

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I found it helps if the nut at the top of the spindle and other control arm bolts are loosened a bit.

Hopes that helps. If you need to PM or call I can walk you through it. It makes no sense this has taken so long to get done. Meanwhile, you cannot have fun!
Thank you Homeboy. I agree that its taking too long! It's been driving me crazy. Every day i've made a little progress after i've gotten home from work. As soon as i get this B Joint together i should be good to go. If it comes down to it, i may loosen up the nut at the top of the control arm, but if i do that wont it require a new alignment $$?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Texas-T

Garage
Got it! (2) 45 lb weights suspended from a chain held it down and allowed me to move the control arm and wheel carrier as i needed. thanks again for the help! i rolled the weights under the car on my skateboard, and then slid out the board from underneath after attaching the chain. i strung it through the loop on a paint can opening tool that was pinned in the hole where part 10 attaches. worked great to just let gravity do the work for me:troll:
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
That's using your noodle. Kind of unconventional, but it worked!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Texas-T

Garage
whatever works! haha. here is a photo of the assembly. with the (2) 45's chained to the control arm, pinned through the #10 hole, i was easily able to lower the arm with one hand, and align the angle of the ball joint to match the wheel with the other hand. I hope this is useful to someone else along the way with a similar issue
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #12

When I did it I removed all the bolts from the drive shaft to the transmission and it was very easy.