Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #1

stock h.p at the wheels

hi all, does anyone know what stock h.p. at the wheels is for a 03/04 box s? ..thanks for any help

Last edited by carmos; 12-04-2005 at 07:45 PM.
carmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #2

It should should be in the neighborhood of 220-225hp at the wheels with a manual tranny. A 15% drivline loss for a manual transmission is the industry standard. Auto's are typcically around 20%. Since the transmission is placed very close to the differential in the boxster I would assume it may be slighty more efficient than say a corvette or something similar that uses a long heavy drive shaft to transfer power to the diff and then the rear wheels.

Last edited by Adam; 12-04-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #3

thanks adam , i was just trying to figure out how much h.p. gain i got after my mods..i got 246 to the wheels...so maybe from 21 to 26 h.p. gain..now if could only get get rid of of the cel light i get after i installed the dansk headers.. comes on every 160 to 180 miles like clock work.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #4

Did you drill a hole and install an O2 sensor on the headers? If you don't you will get those pesky CEL's for sure from what I hear.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #5

hey adam , the dansk headers i got already had holes for the o2 sensors..i had to have the rear o2 moved to the rear of the second set of cats. but i still get a 2096 cel error everytime after about 160 miles. it says there is a delay error on one side of the car so replaced the front sensor and still got the same error.then i switched the 02 sensors from left to right to see if the error moved with the sensors... i got the same cel again 2096

Last edited by carmos; 03-28-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #6

That is weird. Have you asked around locally at any dealerships or mechanics why that is? What are all the mods on the car?

Last edited by Adam; 12-04-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #7

yea the one mechanic that did the revo chip install tried some software fix that they do when you install high flow cats,but that did not work... his next idea is to move the front sensors to the front of the rear cats and then i guess seal the holes in the headers...i just have not done it seems like he is just guessing and i am the one that has to pay 120.00 an hr in labor for it...and the car runs fine when the light is on its just irratating to look at...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #8

Looks like you got an extra 30+hp with your set up. How much did you have to spend to get the extra hp. Besides the engine light coming on, was it worth it and would you do it again?

I only thing I did was the Evo air intake and is very happy with it. The only problem is that I'm speeding a lot more since I love the sound of the engine when I floor the car!

I was thinking about doing the chip and 2nd cat bypass pipes.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #9

hi nasty boxster, would i do it again .... yes!...the cel light is irratating but the sound and feel of the car much better... cost of parts- dansk headers 795.00 from vertex..evo cold air was 375.00... revo chip was 895.00...install costs 125.. for headers and 150.00 cold air...the intall of the revo was included in the price...
Old 12-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #10

Do you know if it's the headers or the chip that is triggering the cel lights? I guess the only way to find out is to spend a few bucks removing the Dansk Headers to see if the lights come on or not.

Also, did you mod anything else to get the hp? Exhaust?
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #11

nastyboxster. it is the headers i had them installed before the revo chip and was already getting the cel light...i also replaced the stock muffler with a set of magnaflow ones...but i just recently put the stoch muffler back on because i got 2 stupid speeding tickets.i for 10 miles over the limt and another for 9 miles over the limt. and both times i was going with the flow of traffic and cars right next to me...i figure i was to loud and it made me the easy choice out of a crowd...

p.s. i have not noticed any loss of power after i went back to stock muffler..
Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #12

Carmos,
In regards to your REVO software, there is an updated version that usually takes care of that pesky CEL light if it is being activated by the 0xygen sensor placement due to aftermarket exhaust. Not sure who the installer was, But check with him for update at no charge.

Last edited by dp fan; 01-26-2006 at 01:34 PM.
dp fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #13

thanks dp fan

yea the place that installed software did the up date also and the cel light came on after 220 miles..so i dont know if i am just going to get the dansk hi flow cats and extend both sets of o2 sensors back there or just live with the cel light..the cats are like 1200 bucks plus install...and there is not that big of a horsepower gain by adding the cats.. so i still dont know..thanks for the idea though..