Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

2001 Boxster TIP Transmission replacement options

2001 Boxster TIP Transmission replacement options
Like some advice on my Boxster with 74K miles. I had my transmission fluid changed by independent shop and now in reverse, 1st and 2nd transmission slips and slams. I'm looking at following transmission options and would like advice on what option is lowest cost and best long term reliable fix:

option 1 - transmission overhaul
Heard a lot from transmission shops where they pretty much "guarantee" to fix the existing for $2400-$4000 and won't need to go buy a used one from a junk yard. Is this an option you would ever recommend?

option 2 - reconditioned transmission
Different companies offering completely reconditioned transmission shipped to shop to be installed

option 3 - junk yard used

jeffpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Perhaps a silly thought, but maybe they used the wrong transmission fluid and a fluch and fill with the right oil might solve the problem. I've had that issue on other cars, but never a p-car.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #3

I'll go one better: They used the wrong fluid, and did not fill it correctly (there is a specific proceedure on how to do this).

Take the car to someone that knows Tips and get it re service first.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #4

Is the shop that screwed it up paying for the repairs?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

I've had 2 transmissions rebuilt on probably 30+ auto trans cars. One lasted longer than the car it was in. One is still running around somewhere. But both were commodity transmissions meaning the local AAMCO shop knew them and did a fine job and I trusted the shop because they had saved me the cost of a transmission rebuild on another car when the dealer recommended it as the only way when all it needed was a $150 speed sensor.

The key is that the shop knows the transmission. So find a shop that knows them with a good reputation in the P-car community and ask them. They can test the fluid, test the fluid level, etc.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote