Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #1

Red face Are there a lot of Boxster fixes in my future?

Looking at getting my first Boxster - a 1997 with only 30,000 miles. When I look at all the recall fixes in the past, and some problems I read on this forum, are there more than the usual fixes needed on these?

I know there are always "lemons" and that no one posts when there aren't any problems, so I know there's a slanted view. I've had BMW's and a MB in my past and had good and bad with both.

Appreciate any honest feedback and experiences before I dive into this world! Thanks.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
you can expect to replace the RMS sometime in the future, along with the convertable folding gear (bad cables). Those are the too main problems I have encountered with my 97, which I've had for just over a year.
jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #3

Anything else a problem, like leaks, ect?

Thanks. I read about the cables and plan on doing that first. What is RMS?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 AM   #4
PAH

Rear Main Seal on the engine. It tends to fail, resulting in a few drips of oil. It's something you can probably live with, as long as you keep topping up the oil, but it's expensive to repair, unless you have the Porsche Extended Warranty, which will cover this.

RMS problems have affected all 986's, 987's, 996's and 997's. Still there doesn't appear to be a guaranteed fix.
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:03 AM   #5

The miles you cite are low and of course, you HAVE to have a PPI, performed by a Porsche Dealer.

We have had guys on here who have NOT done this and they have regretted it terribly.

Also, run a car fax and make sure your dealer does a paint meter check on the car for bodywork.

If you search the threads for Pre-purchase advice you will not be sorry.

The answer to your question lies in prep BEFORE buying.

Best of luck to you.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 AM   #6

Cost of maintenance is indeed higher, regardless of how low your mileage or how well the car has been cared for by the previous owners(s).

If it's a daily driver, you'll probably put a new set of tires on it every 18 months or less if you drive agressively, and if you buy a manual transmission and use the car in traffic every day you'll probably wear out a clutch far faster than the normal Porsche owner who drives the car for pleasure. Tires and clutches aren't cheap for our cars.

Read the thread link in my signature line to learn about the things I wish I had learned BEFORE I went shopping for my 97. I seem to have the most vivid horror stories on this forum my car was so neglected and abused, so don't think your situation will be as bad as mine... I just bought on impulse and didn't do enough homework and think rationally. I'm sure you're far smarter and more level headed buying a 97 with just 30k on it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. RandallNeighbour, already found your article and printed it!

Brucelee, what is a PPI (not familiar with all the abreviations yet)? I'm buying from a trusted relative so I'm not worried about the history or any hidden issues. BUT, if he hasn't taken the car in for ALL of the recall notices (haven't asked him yet), can he still do that as the original owner or are there time limits to these?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
what is a PPI
Pre Purchase Inspection.

Don't have the RMS replaced unless it actually leaks. If you do, you can start a problem that you didn't have to begin with.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #9

Good idea.

Does anyone know if there was a recall on any specific item(s) that didn't get done (this was a garage queen), will Porsche still perform those fixes or is there usually a time limit to get these done?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #10

Pre-purchase inspection.

You relative may not know what the car has wrong with it. The PPI is money well spent.

Re: the recalls, I am sorry but I don't know the answer to that. A call to the Porsche service dept will let you know quickly.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. RandallNeighbour, already found your article and printed it!

Brucelee, what is a PPI (not familiar with all the abreviations yet)? I'm buying from a trusted relative so I'm not worried about the history or any hidden issues. BUT, if he hasn't taken the car in for ALL of the recall notices (haven't asked him yet), can he still do that as the original owner or are there time limits to these?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #11
olly986

hj hoser
the mass air flow regulator can be a problem. check rear plastic window specially if it was lowered under 17 degrees, it can go white or crack on the edges at the folding level, i also had to change water pump and main belt due to one breaking the other(i don't know which one broke first) all this happen on my previous 97 tip boxster