Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #1

Porsche just bought me a new engine

So I have 11,500 miles on my 2004 Boxster Special Ann. Edition.

My wife and I take the car on a trick rally. Easy driving. We pull into the restaurant to submit out results and someone informs us that a Boxster S is dumping oil out in the parking lot. It was mine.

We have the car towed into the dealer. I get a call next day. They have ordered a new engine and will have it installed in a few days. No charge.

I ask why a new engine. They tell me that when a " baffle" lets go, they don't try to replace the part... just drop in a new engine.

I asked if it was something I did and was told most probably not. Just a fluke manufactoring defect.

I did run the car hard in a performance driving school 3 weeks prior and after a run the car boiled out some of its coolant which of course, I repaced before driving the car. Engine temp. never above 185 degrees

Any connection do you think??

Vic

Last edited by Vicelike; 11-21-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
bmussatti

You're having an early Christmas! A new engine.

Bad news is you have to cycle through another break-in period!

FYI. You should not repeat your last paragraph again...could get ya in trouble with your warranty.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #3

hummmmm...can you upgrade to a delicious 280 hp 987s motor???
Old 11-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
hummmmm...can you upgrade to a delicious 280 hp 987s motor???
He is getting a motor just like the one in a 987 S. The motor is the same 3.2L Porsche has been using since 2000. They just tweeked the breathing and ECU to coax more power out of it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #5

Yeah, ditto bmussati...ixnay on the hard runay.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Yeah, ditto bmussati...ixnay on the hard runay.
LOL. Your sense of humor cracks me up Rail.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:45 AM   #7

Garage
Sorry to hear about the engine problems..

having said that it never ceases to amaze me visiting these Boxster boards of the reports of engine failures in cars with low mileage--under 50K.

We recently traded in our '99' with 40K miles, that was perfect from the day we took it home, for a '06' 987. The new car feels much more refined than the old one and is a pleasure to drive but I have to say the number of reports on engine failures is one of those things that makes you wonder if your good luck with a Boxster is the luck of the draw or something else.

We drove 3 987's before buying--2 base, 1 S. The base cars were perfect. The S had a funky gearbox and that vibration that went down the centerline of the car. It really struck me that 2 cars could drive so well and the other was a disaster. It made me wonder how the S got out of the factory without those problems being caught.

Rail--looks like we got simlar cars; our is GR/Blk with PASM/Sportchrono. Have you had any issues with yours?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the warning.....

but they will have to take me to court now. I have my car with the new engine and I have my wallet unlightened as well.

But I am curious. Does attending a Porsche Club performance driving school void the engine warranty? That strikes me as " strange" given that the car is suppose to be a sports car built to hold up at its limits....

Or have the lawyers done it to us again....
Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelike
but they will have to take me to court now. I have my car with the new engine and I have my wallet unlightened as well.

But I am curious. Does attending a Porsche Club performance driving school void the engine warranty? That strikes me as " strange" given that the car is suppose to be a sports car built to hold up at its limits....

Or have the lawyers done it to us again....

Couple things.......

1) A Porsche Club (PCA) event does not imply Porsche Approved

2) I think it was Dan Quail (remember him!) that once said the USA has about 5% of the World's population....and 20% of the World's attorneys!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Couple things.......

1) A Porsche Club (PCA) event does not imply Porsche Approved

2) I think it was Dan Quail (remember him!) that once said the USA has about 5% of the World's population....and 20% of the World's attorneys!!
I just love the observation that either Road & Track or Car & Driver made in the '70s about manufacturers' approaches to dealing with the (then) new and cumberson smog laws: the Big Three hired attorneys while Honda hired engineers.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #11

The engine in my 99 986 blew Labor Day 2004. 5 year, 38K miles. I was never really told what caused the problem but they said that the 4th and 5th cylinders seized. Porsche did replace the engine but I had to pay for the installation. I also got a two year or 100K warranty on the new engine.

Two weeks ago the check engine light came on so I had it checked when I took it in for my annual oil change. It was an air mass sensor. $800 fixed that problem. I really like the car but this is getting old.
garyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
My 04 boxster has had the engine go. My internal shaft broke at 11,000 miles and the engine was replaced.

phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote