Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #1

shipping help

trying to order a gbox detent. check this out:

"Thank you for your email.

The cost of the part you requested is $199.00. Shipping is $142.45. Your total would be $341.45

Thank you for your business."

a part the size of a pencil - $140 to ship. the downside of living in canada. anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by The Radium King; 03-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Ive run into that a few times. Try calling rather than e-mailing and see if you can get some "real" shipping costs. I'm willing to bet I can guess the website you're trying to order from.
You may have to search another vendor sadly.
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

i've asked then to ship usps - no dice. they are the only vendor, unfortunately.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

If you are within striking distance of the border, you might consider setting up a us address. I have done this with big heavy items when shipping is really crazy and I have multiple items. Customs personnel have been pretty good. Of course one has to consider time, gas, and duties. These sort of factors can easily add up to the same as shipping.

Whenever possible use USPS. Call for that option if it is not shown on web site. It is slower but you won't be held hostage by UPS.

Yes confirm web shipping costs by phone as they are sometimes outlandish

Sometimes the local "speed shop" will bring it in for you and the price will be for the product only if you order it through them.

Yep...it it would be nice to live in CA sometimes

Last edited by jaykay; 03-11-2013 at 09:14 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post

The cost of the part you requested is $199.00. Shipping is $142.45. Your total would be $341.45

a part the size of a pencil - $140 to ship. the downside of living in canada. anyone have any ideas?
TRK
send me the link to their website.
maybe i will order it for both of us and ship it to you.

edit: just found it on ebay with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-TRANSMISSION-996-BOXSTER-NEW-UPGRADE-POP-OUT-2ND-GEAR-DETENT-/160965329457?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item257a480231
PM me your adress and ill check the cost of UPS/fedex/usps.

Last edited by Meir; 03-11-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post

If this is for a 6-speed you may want to try the CA motorsports shift arrester & detent spring for the same price. Better end results BUTT requires tailshaft housing removal for installation.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Here's something that UPS often doesn't tell their customers: You don't have to pay their extortionate brokerage fee. When the UPS guy shows up at your door asking for his pound of flesh you just say "No thanks, I'll clear it myself". He will then give you a form and take your stuff back to his depot. You then take that form to the closest CBSA office, pay the GST and get a receipt, and then take your receipt to UPS where they have to give you your stuff, no charge. It's a bit more trouble this way, but it's better than paying off those thieves.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

I have tried this but has been a lot of hassle. They don't make it easy to get your package. But it definitely can be done and could work well!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
still plays with cars...

Garage
Take a trip...

My wife & I went for a pre-Christmas shopping trip into Michigan, and I had my Gbox detent sent to our hotel there.
It got there before we did!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

thanks folks, and thanks meir for the offer. i'd looked at the california motorsport piece before but avoided it as install was punching a little bit above my weight. i think, however, i'll go with that part and get it installed when i next do my clutch (this way i can justify delaying doing the the work - my conscience rests easy, wallet gets a break, and i can spend time fiddling with something different ...). cheers.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #11

Garage
I use Bongous.com and they have been very reasonable when shipping to Canada.
dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #12

What part of Canada are you in? I ship stuff to WA state and drive across to avoid some of the insane shipping charges some vendors charge.

Ps. I will be making a trip in a week or so, so if you can't find any other way I could always pick it up for you and mail it in Canada via post or FedEx. My parcel receiving company in WA state charges $5 per parcel.

Last edited by MFozz; 03-11-2013 at 10:43 PM.
MFozz is offline   Reply With Quote