Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #1

Another IMS question

I posted this on the Pelican site and thought I'd throw it here too. I wondering what the consensus is on the IMS bearing. I have a near perfect bearing in my S. I pulled the seal and looked like motor oil came out in good condition. I'm thinking to leave the the outer seal off and button it up. Any thoughts? I won't put 6,000 miles a year on the car.

3.2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #2

Actually low miles is thought bad for the IMS. Low miles either means short trips (= contaminated oil) or long intervals of non-use which means the oil drains out and the bearing starts dry.

With the 3.2 you have the least good IMSB.

So once you are in there, why reuse a known weak part? Why not use one that can sustain more of the worst conditions?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #3

This is your lucky day 3.2S. A detailed answer from an informed source in 10 minutes.
Great timing.

DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote