Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #1

Smile 6 speed manual mods 2003 S

Hello all.
I've been looking at this great forum for months but I am new as a member.
I bought myself a 2003 Boxster S last year and I love it. Spent a couple of K getting a few bits sorted (servicing, tires, tracking, brakes, cv boots and ss headers whilst I was at it) most of which I did myself. A surprisingly nice car to work on I might add.
The reason for this post is to ask for advice on the 6 speed manual set up.
I intend on putting new gear box oil in soon after it comes out of winter hibernation but I have noticed that selecting gears is less than perfect from time to time and I want to get it sorted, ideally without spending shed loads or taking it to dealer.
Reading up in the past, it seems people recommend staying away from the short shift kits but I loved the short shift conversion on my Subaru.
I realize the problem needs sorting with selecting gears before adding any sort of short shift, but what's the best plan of attack? Are there any up grade parts that will give me the confidence to shift quickly as I do like to drive the s**t out of it! (maybe some track days or meets etc)
Any experienced advice is greatly appreciated.
Happy motoring chaps

Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #2

Gear box- 6 speed manual

Forgot to ask - could it also be a clutch issue?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #3

Okay, you said "whilst" and "sorted" and "shed loads" and "chaps" - so I'm going to guess that you're driving on the right hand side of the car. NTTAWWT

As to mods, I've got the TopSpeed Pro short shift kit and I'm thrilled with it. It's the first mod I would suggest to give you that sports car feel.
Next, I was having the dreaded 2nd gear pop out issue when the temps got down in the 5c to 0 range and I installed the G-Box detent. Problem solved.

Track days, get a better set of pads, I'm using Carbo Techs and I'm happy with them, but Pagid and others are suitable too.

Mostly for aural pleasure, try TopSpeed test pipes and race muffler - others work well too. Beware, fuel economy drops because your foot is always on the floor.

Also for tracking, an underdrive pulley is helpful, it gives you a bit more hp and doesn't spin your PS pump into failure mode.

Beyond that, don't run your motor oil past 5k miles and you should be good to track on any day.

Hope you enjoy the car Leafy, post vids of your track days.
PS. How many miles on it? Low low miles, I might change the IMS - and then clutch and maybe a lightweight flywheel while you're in there. High miles, no problem on the IMS. (Rumor has it)

Last edited by DFW02S; 02-10-2013 at 09:38 PM.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote