Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

z-max

I've been reading all the posts on Mobil 1 vs. Casrol vs. Redline and how they make start-up noise / rattle better or not. Has anyone tried Z-Max engine treatment?

Seems to me if Carol Shelby promoted the product, it's at least worth some research. I'm definitely NOT a mechanic but want to at least learn basic upkeep and repair for my '02. To me anything I can do to decrease engine wear is worth doing, especially with this being my everyday driver.

Any thoughts?

afpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
First off, do not add ZMax to your car. If you do a search on this you will find there are several really good posts as to why you don't want to use additives. Second, the rattle you are talking about is telling you that you may need to replace your chain tensioners.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
1998 Boxster

I replaced my tensioners but still have the noise. Does anyone know what else could be causing the noise....only on cold starts.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afpa View Post
I've been reading all the posts on Mobil 1 vs. Casrol vs. Redline and how they make start-up noise / rattle better or not. Has anyone tried Z-Max engine treatment?

Seems to me if Carol Shelby promoted the product, it's at least worth some research. I'm definitely NOT a mechanic but want to at least learn basic upkeep and repair for my '02. To me anything I can do to decrease engine wear is worth doing, especially with this being my everyday driver.

Any thoughts?
Carroll Shelby died May 10,2012. I worked for him a few years. He started slutting his name around on alot of things a few years before he died. Boxster engines are different from 65 ford 289 engines. I wouldn't put anything in your engine except the best quality oil you can get.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Z-Max analyzes to be nothing more than a type of mineral oil with a wetting agent (surfactant) in it. It will make your wallet easier to sit on, but that is about all it will do...................
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah rah 986 View Post
I replaced my tensioners but still have the noise. Does anyone know what else could be causing the noise....only on cold starts.
It's lifter noise. It takes a a few split seconds for the hydraulic lifters to pressurize. It's not a big deal.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Zmax is snake oil. They also make an additive for aviation recips called avblend and it's "FAA approved" (this not proof of efficacy, only that it will so no harm). If one were read the MSDS for either product, it would quickly become clear that both products consistof mineral oil and dye. I know pilots paying $20 bucks for this stuff at oil change. It's crap, find a good 0W-XX synthetic, and drive your car!

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote