986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   z-max (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43088-z-max.html)

afpa 02-08-2013 04:11 PM

z-max

I've been reading all the posts on Mobil 1 vs. Casrol vs. Redline and how they make start-up noise / rattle better or not. Has anyone tried Z-Max engine treatment?

Seems to me if Carol Shelby promoted the product, it's at least worth some research. I'm definitely NOT a mechanic but want to at least learn basic upkeep and repair for my '02. To me anything I can do to decrease engine wear is worth doing, especially with this being my everyday driver.

Any thoughts?

Eric G 02-08-2013 04:51 PM

First off, do not add ZMax to your car. If you do a search on this you will find there are several really good posts as to why you don't want to use additives. Second, the rattle you are talking about is telling you that you may need to replace your chain tensioners.

rah rah 986 02-09-2013 04:41 AM

I replaced my tensioners but still have the noise. Does anyone know what else could be causing the noise....only on cold starts.

BYprodriver 02-09-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afpa (Post 326785)
I've been reading all the posts on Mobil 1 vs. Casrol vs. Redline and how they make start-up noise / rattle better or not. Has anyone tried Z-Max engine treatment?

Seems to me if Carol Shelby promoted the product, it's at least worth some research. I'm definitely NOT a mechanic but want to at least learn basic upkeep and repair for my '02. To me anything I can do to decrease engine wear is worth doing, especially with this being my everyday driver.

Any thoughts?

Carroll Shelby died May 10,2012. I worked for him a few years. He started slutting his name around on alot of things a few years before he died. Boxster engines are different from 65 ford 289 engines. I wouldn't put anything in your engine except the best quality oil you can get.

JFP in PA 02-09-2013 09:17 AM

Z-Max analyzes to be nothing more than a type of mineral oil with a wetting agent (surfactant) in it. It will make your wallet easier to sit on, but that is about all it will do...................

shadrach74 02-09-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rah rah 986 (Post 326829)
I replaced my tensioners but still have the noise. Does anyone know what else could be causing the noise....only on cold starts.

It's lifter noise. It takes a a few split seconds for the hydraulic lifters to pressurize. It's not a big deal.

shadrach74 02-09-2013 10:25 AM

Zmax is snake oil. They also make an additive for aviation recips called avblend and it's "FAA approved" (this not proof of efficacy, only that it will so no harm). If one were read the MSDS for either product, it would quickly become clear that both products consistof mineral oil and dye. I know pilots paying $20 bucks for this stuff at oil change. It's crap, find a good 0W-XX synthetic, and drive your car!