Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

987.2 S Exhaust Choices?

I have been searching and reading everything I can find about available cat back exhausts for my 2009 Boxster S. I am looking for nice sound with as little drone as possible. Most of my searches have turned up replacement systems for older cars. Not too much info or reviews of systems available for the 987.2 cars. I would like to keep it under 2K if possible. I owned a 2000 986 base back in the day with an aftermarket system that sounded great outside the car, but droned like crazy inside the car. I'm sure things have improved greatly since then. With my limited research, I'm coming up with Fabspeed Maxflo and AWE as two with some good reviews. What am I missing, or am I off base with these two companies? I know I can't have it all, but I would like great sound with as little drone as possible. I realize the two go hand in hand, but there has to be a happy medium out there somewhere. Thoughts?

1atom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

Garage
There's a plethora of high quality cat-back exhausts for your vehicle out there. Take a look at FVD/Brombacher, Tubi, Milltek, and Capristo to name a few. Also, a good site to check out is www.planet-9com. There's a wealth of knowledge to be found there regarding 987 platform vehicles. But, don't leave us here a the 986 forum !
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

I'm looking for specific advice on the 987.2 cars with regards to drone and sound... From what I'm reading so far, the year of the car has allot to do with how the exhausts are designed and sound...
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

The Capristo set up is one of the i have heard . that is if you like an F1 type sound.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1atom12 View Post
I'm looking for specific advice on the 987.2 cars with regards to drone and sound... From what I'm reading so far, the year of the car has allot to do with how the exhausts are designed and sound...
Since this forum consists mainly of 986 owners, you're going to be hard pressed to find answers to the questions that you're asking. That's why I suggested the Planet-9 site to you. There are literally thousands of 987.2 owners on that site who have extensive experience with aftermarket exhaust upgrades for both boxsters and caymans.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

2009 boxster would be the dfi engine ? These have different rear silencers to the earlier 3.4 non dfi engined cars as the manifolds are unequal lengths on the left and right hand side of the car on the 2009. The best value for money would be to get a carnewal exhaust , these modify existing stock silencers to give a sporty sound and remove the rear cats to give a little more performance too. Aftermarket systems can be a little boomy at motorway speeds , or there is always the option of the original PSE (porsche sports exhaust) which is switchable.

berty987 is offline   Reply With Quote