Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

whine from rear of my 02 Boxster base

I just bought my first Porsche! 02 Boxster base, 45K miles. When I got it there was a little wheel vibration and a whining noise I assumed were from the worn tires it had when I bought it.

A four wheel balance and new tires later, the car tracks straight as an arrow and the vibration is gone. Unfortunately to whine remains. I've seen other posts with similar descriptions: starts around 30 mph, doesn't change pitch with wheel or engine speed, doesn't change with braking or coasting at speed, and disappears when I slow below 25 mph.

Mechanic said car is solid; checked out wheel bearings and all are fine. His opinion is that it doesn't appear to be an issue with the engine, belts, alternator, wheels, tranny or brakes, so... is it really a problem or just a bit irritating?

Any thoughts?

afpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Welcome to the forum. That is an awesome color combination, nice ride.

Nothing at all changes the whine at all above 30mph? What about hard acceleration or cornering? Hopefully some others will chime in and help out.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #3

Nothing changes the sound. Speed, engine rpm, braking, coasting, top up or down. I'm not much of a mechanic (though I hope to learn), but the shop I got the balance done at said I did a good job of running through possible causes.

Weird thing is about every 3 or 4 rides it won't happen. NO trend I can identify.

The sound isn't really loud like when brake pads are getting worn, but lound enough to get noticed by others.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #4

if it is on one side i would still check the wheel bearing-i had a horribly worn wheel bearing making alot of noise, but there was no wobbling or play in the wheel when checked.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

I had that issue last year. it was intermittent at the beginning and only happen when driving 30mph or higher.
No wobble on the wheel. Ended up replacing rear wheel bearings. Left rear failed at 47K miles and not too long after that (at 48K miles), the right one started making the same noise...
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I have an oil leak as of today that I need to address before the sound.

got a 90 day warantee from the dealer; hoping it's nothing too major...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Likes her Top OFF

I get a whine on mine at about 60 I think it's the top lifting or catching the air as to make like a whistle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
nakedteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #8

Ditto - Whine I did not recognize for a year was a bad rear ball bearing; now I can hear my engine! Sounds great. Bob

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote