Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
TPC

Rear control arm fix?

I have the clunking noise from the rear of my 01S. Before ordering the vertex arms I thought I would try the fix posted on renntech Boxster Control Arm Repair - 986 Boxster Suspension, Brakes, and Wheels - RennTech.org Forums

When I took the rubber gators off I'm not seeing where to use the punch. Is the design of mine different then the one he detailed on his 03S?
Worse case its time to order new one but trying a free fix seemed like a good place to start..

TPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #2

I used this fix on my right control arm at least 4-5 months ago and eliminated all noises from it. I put red dots where I tapped with a punch to make small indentations. The goal is to tighten that sleeve around the ball joint so it can't move around excessively and cause noises. After tapping around the sleeve (on one side only) inject new grease into the joint before putting the rubber pieces back on.

BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

I put vertex arms in my '02 S at about 55K, and the original bearings were a mess, mucho rattling. Easy R&R, well worth it. Go vertex.

navair is offline   Reply With Quote