Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #21

nastyboxster-

If you enjoy it, thats all that ultimately matters. I was just throwing out an option and an opinion, thats all. I'm only 31 now but when I was 16 thru basically 26 all I did was throw tons of money into "bolt on performance products" for my Z-28's I owned. After finally spending a s^&t load of money on "bolt on performance" I decided to go the next step and get into the "guts" of the car. WOW! All the money I spent on bolt ons could have easily been used to do something useful to the car. Such as ring and pinion swap, engine work, trans work. Now I kinow its not that easy on the Boxster and will cost a bunch more...but basically the moral is if you are truly looking for performance you MUST get into the "guts" of the car. Until then I have learned to not spend the money just because it made me "feel" better, but to make sure the money actually "worked" for me. But hey...its your money...do as you wish...the FREE de-snorkel mod is just right for me and if sound is what you want I believe its the way to go. Again...only my opinion.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
How have these mods effected your gas mileage? Improved, same or worsened??

No difference in gas mileage, power, CEL's, throttle response. It feels the same as before...BUT...sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #23

xclusivecar,

Is it difficult to desnorkel? How about resnorkeling if for some reason I need to put the part back on?

Thanks again for the advice and posts! With this free option, I will be able to add a few more $$ to the sound system.

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #24

K&N and MAF sensors

I have a '99 Boxster. I purchased online an EVO "Quick Flow" kit which uses an OE style flat K&N oiled filter, and had my dealer install it at about 60,000 miles. Sounded great and I did sense slightly better throttle response. After about 8000 trouble free miles the "check engine light" came on. The dealer diagnosed that oil from the filter had fouled the MAF sensor and it need to be replaced. Since they had replaced the MAF sensor at 58,000 mile prior to them installing the EVO kit, they did agree to replace the MAF sensor at no charge ONLY if I agreed to use an OE filter instead of the the oiled filter that came with the kit. Seemed fair to me so I agreed and they only charged me for the new OE filter, no labor labor or other parts. Still has the great sound and seems to be performing great so I think I'll stay with the OE filter rather than risk fouling the MAF sensor again and this time have to pick up the bill!
nosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBoxster
xclusivecar,

Is it difficult to desnorkel? How about resnorkeling if for some reason I need to put the part back on?

Thanks again for the advice and posts! With this free option, I will be able to add a few more $$ to the sound system.

To de-snorkel is easy...many websites have instructions including mine... http://www.xclusivecar.com/Porsche_Boxster_S_DeSnorkel_Mod.htm This is a 20 minute at most job. WEAR GLOVES while pulling out the snorkel as you WILL rip apart your hands when the snorkel breaks loose.

To re-snorkel? As long as you didn't absolutely rip the snorkel out you MAY be able to put it back in with a little pressure. The snorkel is a held in by tabbed(?) plastic. So putting it in should be reverse of taking it out.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #26

04 Boxster S De-Snorkel

I've looked around and everyone seems to have de-snorkelled their 03 or earlier Boxsters, is there any problem in doing it to an 04 model?

Has anyone actually put in some kind of netting behind the grille to ensure nothing goes through?
Teal_BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal_BoxsterS
I've looked around and everyone seems to have de-snorkelled their 03 or earlier Boxsters, is there any problem in doing it to an 04 model?

Has anyone actually put in some kind of netting behind the grille to ensure nothing goes through?
'04 should not be different. As far as putting a screen behind the grill...yes...you will have to search the net as there have been some people who fit a screen back there. They fear a possible cigarette getting into the intake and igniting the air filter. I'm not sure of the chances of that happening though. If you smoke, don't throw your lit butt out the window at speed and you should be OK.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #28

xclusivecar

Thank you for the link. I will desnorkel this weekend or today if I can't wait for the weekend.

Atlantaboxster
Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #29

I know Porsche's are picky and really any mods are not going to get you much power (or loss!) but I can't believe no one has ever made a custom intake.

When I bought my boxster I knew the cost that were entailed over another car but it is worth it to me. I also have a ducati monster which I modded like crazy and did a lot of work myself. I AM going to build my own intake whe I find the time but wondered if anyone else has put something together?

Any racers? What about chopping an airbox and putting on a cone filter?

I know this seems sacreligous (sp) to most of you and power problably won;t be gained but I really am just astounded that NOT one person has done this.
scoobyrex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #30

I have seen a guy who did make his own intake. Literally 2 short pieces of 2 or 3" PVC and 2 rubber plumbing elbows. I don't remember the specifics but I'll try to search for them on the net.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:14 PM   #31

@ scoobyrex27

Hi,

One Question.... WHY???? You admit that there are no Power Gains to be had and it is invisible (no ready Bragging Rights). Since it's N/A, cleaning up the aerodynamics won't help and it's a lot more work than just pulling the Snorkel...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #32

MNBoxster does have a point. If an aftermarket intake doesn't do ANYTHING...then why spend the time to build your own and still gain...NOTHING!

DE-snorkel and you should be happy!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #33

Desnorkeling just makes things louder, right?
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #34

Desnorkel done.

With surgical care and precision, well not really, I have completed the desnorkeling procedure, currently only on the drivers side to test it out. I have found that it does add to the quality of the sound. I will be desnorkeling the passenger side this weekend.

Thanks for the posts and advice.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #35
bmussatti

AtlantaBoxster, you might be done sooner that you think....I thouhgt there was only one snorkle...on the drivers side.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #36

Can you desnorkel on the passenger side too? I thought it was only one side.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #37

Only the drivers side can be de-snorkeled. The passenger side is the cooling fan for the engine. Nothing to pull out of there. Your done!

De-snorkeling does make things louder...especially at a HIGH RPM! Very quiet while driving normally. Just for fun...try this...while driving next to a car with their windows down, get on the gas and pass them on the right. It'll scare the HELL out of the passenger in the other car!