Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #1

Recaro Seats

Anyone have any experience with Recaro seats in a Boxster, the pole position model in particular? I'm looking for a cheap, weight-saving way to add a couple inches of badly needed leg room to my 2000 Boxster S. I saw some discussion on GT3 seats in a Boxster but these would be overkill for my purposes. All comments appreciated. Many thanks.

jhmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
bmussatti

jhmcmath, here is some information I found on the PCA Tech Site regarding your question on Recaro Seats:

"For a daily driver you don't want a race seat, trust me. It gets harder to get in & out every week, since we get older instead of younger.

For a top race seat that is really awful to get in & out of, I prefer the Recaro SPG Pro99. I have used them all, for a street car I would use the plain SPG, that is not nearly as deep on the side leg sections. For a more serious track car I use the Pro99 or the Evo for the same reason. Sit in one first though, if your hips are too wide you would want the Sparco Evo II instead. That is more of a fit for an average American male adult driver. The Recaros Evo and Pro seats are sized to fit tight, intentionally, but you have to do some test fitting to see where you fit in.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 9/27/2005"
Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #3

Overkill? If your purposes are staying alive I would disagree.

a word of warning. Don't drive a car with a cheap racing seat. EVER. Either on the track and specially not in street traffic. In a crash you are severely compromising your safety in inexpensive lightweight seats. This goes for most of the seats made by Momo, Sparco etc. Its mostly crap. The FIA standards even on expensive seats are the most minimal of standards. one can only imagine how much danger of spinal injuries your putting yourself in the event of an accident.

You have a Porsche not a Hyundai.

My advice is to spend a few bucks on a quality seat. If going aftermarket Cobra makes excellent Kevlar seats.

I have the Recaro GT3 seats which are basically the same as the pole positions in the side and seat. I would search around Ebay, Rennlist in the GT3 and 996 boards and check some Porsche racing forums. Maybe even call someone at Brumos Porsche in Fl.

oh and if you go with the GT3 seats you can add a Brey Krause attachment to lower the seat onto the floorboard. As far as leg room I had someone who was 6-4 sitting in the car and it was fine. Getting out was another story, but that's why sportscars love little guys.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-16-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote