Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

OBC Hack Related Question

I have on '01S. It did not come with the On Board Computer option.

For those of you familiar with the OBC hack, I used my Durametric today to enable the OBC as a first step. The tool says the OBC is enabled even thought its not installed.

So here's my question, can a independent, who has a Porsche System Tool, change what is displayed on the dashboard without my having to install the OBC hack itself, that is putting in the 4th stalk and the wiring.

My goal is to display the distance to empty data. I don't really have an interest in displaying the other information.

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Garage
Thom,
On an '01 you need to have either the 4th stalk or the dashboard switch to indicate anything. I recently did this on my '01 with the dashboard switch.
Bottom line is the car needs to see a switch installed.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
Thom,
On an '01 you need to have either the 4th stalk or the dashboard switch to indicate anything. I recently did this on my '01 with the dashboard switch.
Bottom line is the car needs to see a switch installed.
+1 on that.
I did the stalk last august (most useless mod I did on my car so far).
Even if you will be able to get the display you want, it will default to the temp display ( if I remember correctly ) once you disconnect the battery.
Instead of the stalk you can use a button and hide it somewhere.
If you need, I think I still have some wires that go into the cluster gray plug.
Just need to look for them.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
+1 on that.
I did the stalk last august (most useless mod I did on my car so far).
Even if you will be able to get the display you want, it will default to the temp display ( if I remember correctly ) once you disconnect the battery.
Instead of the stalk you can use a button and hide it somewhere.
If you need, I think I still have some wires that go into the cluster gray plug.
Just need to look for them.
Whoa, wait. I have an 02 and temp is all I want. Can I turn it on with a dura metric? I couldn't care less about the rest.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

Garage
Whether or not it is turned on (and a Durametric will do it) you need either the 4 stalk assembly or a switch in the center dash console. The car needs to see a switch of some kind. You can leave it it what ever mode you like once the switch is connected. It's at all difficult, I did mine in about an hour or so taking my time.

Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote