Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #1

Question anyone paint their calipers

My calipers are looking faded and grungy. I am tempted to paint them with one of the 2-part ceramic caliper paint kits that costs about $35. I will finish it off with the porsche caliper stickers listed all over ebay for $8. Has anyone used these. Does the paint hold up, of does it peel off easily? It seems a good beauty enhancement for <50$. Opinions welcome.

Bdel

Bdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
bmussatti

Bdel, this has been done before, and you should search this forum for an old thread.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #3

If you have any artistic ability at all, you'd probably be better off painting the Porsche on it instead of using the eBay stickers. From what I've seen elswhere, they tend to melt.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #4

I can't remember where, but I do recall seeing an online company selling "PORSCHE" stencils for the calipers... I'll try to find and repost if I find it...
Old 10-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #5

I found the link: http://www.eagleday.com/brcapaki.html .....
Old 10-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
bmussatti

Bdel:

Go look in "show and Tell" for 8/15/05. The title is "New Look" posted by ddb.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #7

Hi,

If your Calipers are older, consider rebuilding them and Powder Coating them while they are disassembled. I did this a few years ago on my Lotus and they came out great, still look new.

My Bro.-in-Law had purchased a Powder Coating kit from Harbor-Freight for $65 complete. I disassmbled the Calipers and cleaned them in a Blast Media Cabinet. We sprayed them with the color and baked them in his Home Oven. We masked off the Bleed and Hose holes as well as the Piston Holes. When the time comes to do this to my Boxster, this is the way I'm gonna go, it's turned out to be way more durable and Heat Resistant than Paint and is actually a little less work.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:55 AM   #8

Thumbs up I repainted my calipers and applied sticker kit

In response to your question about painting brake calipers, it is well worth your time. I have a red 1998 boxster with 24k miles and the calipers were looking gray and dingy like all boxster's do after a few years. I ordered "G2" paint kit for $35. I can't remember who I bought the paint kit from, but you can find it at several venders on the web. I also purchased the sticker kit from www.xenonmods.com. I have been driving the car for over a year and the stickers haven't melted. The stickers are heat resistant and the web site that is telling people that they melt are just trying to sell you their stencil kit. I took each wheel off one at a time and cleaned the the caliper before painting. The paint is more like an epoxy and is aplied with a bruch included in the kit (don't wory, it turns out very smooth). I didn't take the calipers apart and it turned out great, no paint on the rear of the calipers, but nobody will ever know. I also painted my hubs with a silver heat paint, which really helped as well. This is also a good time to clean the inside of your wheels. After I completed the job, the car looked new again. I probably spent about 5 or 6 hours on the job, but it really looks great. My neighbor owns a 1998 boxster and he can't believe how good mine looks compared to his.

dustinc3 is offline   Reply With Quote