Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #1

Emission Control

The warning lights on my emission control suddenly lit up!!! I just got my car back after a major repair on the engine! What is wrong?

What is this suppose to mean? Is this a major problem? What are the possible causes of this problem? Help!

HKboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM   #2

Do you mean the Check Engine Light came on?

These come on for a variety of reasons... oil cap or fuel cap is not on tight is one of the reasons, but it can also be oxygen sensor related or Mass Air Fuel sensor related as well, not to mention a bunch of other stuff.

You need to get it to someone with a code reader to determine what it is. As long as it's not blinking, you can drive the car but your fuel economy may not be good and you may have a rough idle as the computer tries to compensate for whatever is not working right.

Take a deep breath. You'll get through this, I assure you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #3

Yeah, it's usually just a sensor somewhere who's life is ending prematurely.

You can go to AutoZone if you have them around there and they can pull the code numbers for you for free. Once you have the code numbers it will be easier to know what you are dealing with.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #4

Thank you guys. I'm driving a 97 boxster and according to the manual it says it is the emission control warning light, is that the same as the check engine light??? I have spent $$$ on repairing the engine, don't want to have another major problem!!! I'm worried that its oxygen sensor related or Mass Air Fuel sensor related......anyway, its not blinking, so I guess it is OK to drive according to you guys......will try to get someone to get the codes for me.....

HKboxster is offline   Reply With Quote