Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Horn Doesn't work

Hi, I have a 1997 Boxster,

The horn doesn't work. The fuse is OK, I replaced the relay, and the horn operates when I set the alarm and open the door with the inside latch release.

I took the airbag off the steering wheel, and the connectors were all attached. I tried shorting between the two spade adapters connected to the retainer frame and ground plate, and the horn did not activate.

I noticed that there's a black plastic plate that the 4 wire plug attaches to that is loose, it moves around until the plug hits the edge of the opening in the frame.

thanks much,

-- Bob

bobdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdid View Post
Hi, I have a 1997 Boxster,

The horn doesn't work. The fuse is OK, I replaced the relay, and the horn operates when I set the alarm and open the door with the inside latch release.

I took the airbag off the steering wheel, and the connectors were all attached. I tried shorting between the two spade adapters connected to the retainer frame and ground plate, and the horn did not activate.

I noticed that there's a black plastic plate that the 4 wire plug attaches to that is loose, it moves around until the plug hits the edge of the opening in the frame.

thanks much,

-- Bob
I went through the same thing earlier this year. Turned out that both horns were bad. The horn you are hearing when you set the alarm is NOT the same horn as what you honk with. That one is inside the front trunk. The real horn is behind the front bumper (you'll need to remove it to access them) and is composed of 2 horns one hi tone and one low tone. They were less that $40 for both at Pelican. Super easy job, just set aside some time to remove the bumper.
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

and clean out your rads/condensers while you have the bumper off. (there... I said it first! )
Old 10-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4

reroute trunk release

While your in there reroute emergency frunk realease to the tow hook porthole
(fishing line holds it on , there are vidieos about this) or my indy placed it under the rubber seal in the center lower opening, when he replaced both horns. right after the drivers side window regulator and frunk actuator........mmmmmmmmm...imagine that, oh that came after clutch, rms ,ims, front berrings ,water pump, aos, maf left and right lower control arms, both visor mirrors wind screen latch. etc...... etc......TIRES !

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster forn malfunction