Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Brake Fluid

Anyone here ever use brake fluid test strips? An indy I know mentioned them to me when I asked about fluid flush recommendations being based simply on time and or mileage. Just curious if anyone has experience with such.

vacarman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Garage
Nope. I don't know what the cost of the test strips are and how old your brake fluid is but, with ATE Super Blue at 15 bucks a quart (you need less than 1 quart to bleed out old fluid and put in new), I would rather do that then to spend it on test strips.
Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Amazon.com carries them, as do many other outlets, but they are about $50 per container, and they have a shelf life.........
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
DIY extremist

If you get a motive power bleeder, a complete bleed is gonna take 5 min once you've got the wheels off. Depending on the spoke clearance, you may not even have to take them off, although if you do, it's a good excuse to wax the caliper paint
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #5

Use your DMM

Instead of buying the test strips, I always check to see if I'm getting conductivity thru the brake fluid by hooking up the negative lead of my DMM to the battery's negative post, and putting in the positive lead of the DMM into the brake fluid reservoir (only touch the fluid) -- look for less than 0.5VDC (less than 0.3VDC is preferred).

You can also use this technique for the coolant to see if you have bad grounds which would cause conductance through the coolant.

Regards,
paul...

paulv is offline   Reply With Quote