Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

wind deflector fastening levers

i need the levers that fasten the windscreen to the roll bars, i ordered the fstener kit but it is not broken it is the lever on the windscreen itself (need both) are these replaceable? or do i need the wind deflector?

dbarnes976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

They are replaceable. Local Porsche dealer had them for $5 each. Did mine 2 weeks ago
Msw-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

I don't have a wind screen to look at, but would they be item #10 in this diagram?
Porsche Boxster Wind Deflector And Linings Roll-over Bar Parts
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
I don't have a wind screen to look at, but would they be item #10 in this diagram?
Porsche Boxster Wind Deflector And Linings Roll-over Bar Parts
Yes that is what i need, I assume they press on?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes976 View Post
Yes that is what i need, I assume they press on?
Also one last question are the parts the same on both sides? the diagram implies that there is only one part so I assume its reversible ..
Old 08-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

Yes they press in. I had to carefully drill a piece of the old broken one out. They are also designated right and left. 2 diff part numbers. Hope this helps
Msw-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

top down high speed run

My defletor came loose on the driver's side and started to flap during a high speed top run.....was lucky enough to reach back and grab it before it flew away.

I can tell right away that the lever is broke but I am not sure about the roll bar receptacle.....anyway I need a fix pretty quick

hmmm perhaps not the best photos. So I take it one can replace the levers quite easily and the roll bar suff?? The fit on the driver side is loose when I force it up and down by hand even after locking it...with broken lever and holding it in place

Last edited by jaykay; 09-12-2012 at 07:19 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msw-986 View Post
Yes they press in. I had to carefully drill a piece of the old broken one out. They are also designated right and left. 2 diff part numbers. Hope this helps
what did you drill exactly??
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

wind screen

replaced both in the past ,one on the roll bar one on the deflector, roll bar pad has to be removed , old one drilled out new one riveted in. comes with rivets all you need is a rivet gun and five minutes. my indy didnt even drill old one out he used pliers i bieleve the whole procedure is online. pelican has all the parts cheep
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

I used three dabs of black silicone (top left, top right, bottom center) to permanently attach the windscreen. It also eliminates the annoying rattles that develop as the fasteners age.

I used the same technique for the headrest grilles after nearly losing one of them on the freeway.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster View Post
I used three dabs of black silicone (top left, top right, bottom center) to permanently attach the windscreen. It also eliminates the annoying rattles that develop as the fasteners age.

I used the same technique for the headrest grilles after nearly losing one of them on the freeway.
I might consider this thanks....but usually I take all of this stuff off for track days......any thoughts on removal? Vinegar?