Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
jakesbox

Noise in front Passenger side

All

Need some thought before I take to a mr fixit. Since I have had my box...about 4 months now, I have noticed that I have this noise coming from my passenger side...seems like the front end. It is almost as if you are blowing into the end of a straw or a bottle of beer...that sort of low horn type of hum...

This only happens for me when I hit around the 42-47mph mark. quits when I give it gas...mostly happens when I am coasting. I originally chalked it up to maybe wind hitting my car in an odd way like it was going through a vent or something,...again like you were gently blowing on the hole of a bottle of beer or something. very faint, but enough to notice it.

Any thoughts? Wheel bearing perhaps???

Thanks for any insight...

trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Garage
There is a vent line that runs up into the fuel door cavity. It vents into the cavity on the front (forward most) wall of that cavity, about 1/2 way up or a little more. You can feel it with your finger if you reach in between the open gas door and the aforementioned front wall.

I fixed the noise by putting a rubber bottle stop in that vent, with a small ~1/8" hole drilled down the center so it would still act as a vent. But it no longer resonates and makes that very irritating noise.

grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote