Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Garage
Roof sync query!

Hi all,
Need some expert guidance please!
My wife tried to drop the roof on our '97 Boxster and forgot to open the roof latch (faulty switch now replaced!). This broke the plastic caps on the front pushrods, so new ones are on the way.
My question is the roof is currently in the DOWN position, what position should the 'banana' brackets on the transmissions be in when I refit the new pushrods?
I have a couple of images from forums but its not clear if the roof is in the open or closed position on the pics.
My current left and right pushrods (with broken caps) are also currently at different lengths, are these the 'adjusters' to ensure the mechanism is straight or should they be the same length? (could this have been a factor in the breakage?)

To get decent access to replace the pushrods and hinges, I removed the rear metal hood cover (with the roof in the down position) and I just want to make sure its all correct before I put the cover back on and test the roof.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by srad34; 08-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
srad34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

If you pull away the rubber cover that surrounds the transmissions (where the banana bracket mounts) you will see marks on there that indicates where the brackets should be when in the down position.

Also, if you measure from the centerline of the ball mount that attaches to the strut that moves the clamshell, to the top of the weatherstripping above it, it should be 195mm. I set both of my transmissions to that number and connected the arms that move the top. At that point I cycled the top to make sure everything was working right. The clamshell was still disconnected.

Once the top was working right, I moved the clamshell into the service position, and then slowly moved the top until I was able to reinstall the struts that control clamshell.

Then it was moving the top in increments and looking at both sides to make sure everything was moving as it should.
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidWorks Mike View Post
If you pull away the rubber cover that surrounds the transmissions (where the banana bracket mounts) you will see marks on there that indicates where the brackets should be when in the down position.

Also, if you measure from the centerline of the ball mount that attaches to the strut that moves the clamshell, to the top of the weatherstripping above it, it should be 195mm. I set both of my transmissions to that number and connected the arms that move the top. At that point I cycled the top to make sure everything was working right. The clamshell was still disconnected.

Once the top was working right, I moved the clamshell into the service position, and then slowly moved the top until I was able to reinstall the struts that control clamshell.

Then it was moving the top in increments and looking at both sides to make sure everything was moving as it should.
Thanks pal, thats really clear and helpful, I will get on with it tomorrow if the weather in the UK holds off!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #4

Garage
Well,
The weather was good today so I set about synchronising the roof tranmissions. A big thankyou to Solidworks Mike for the hints and tips. I took my time, checked and readjusted before refitting the clamshell. Eventually the roof is lined up, clamshell nice and even so all good, plus every hinge cleaned and greased!

Just one further question, I replaced the roof latch as this was faulty (and the cause of the problem), but I noticed 2 microswitches, one I assume to activate the roof motor, is the second one to drop the windows?
If so this is faulty as they don't drop so for now you have to do it manually.

Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad34 View Post
Well,
The weather was good today so I set about synchronising the roof tranmissions. A big thankyou to Solidworks Mike for the hints and tips. I took my time, checked and readjusted before refitting the clamshell. Eventually the roof is lined up, clamshell nice and even so all good, plus every hinge cleaned and greased!

Just one further question, I replaced the roof latch as this was faulty (and the cause of the problem), but I noticed 2 microswitches, one I assume to activate the roof motor, is the second one to drop the windows?
If so this is faulty as they don't drop so for now you have to do it manually.

Any ideas?
If that switch isn't bad, then it may have something to do with 'programming' where the windows are. From my hours and hours of reading posts on here about various stuff, I seem to remember that you need to set where the windows are for them to work correctly.

I would check the switch first and makes sure it's working. You may also want to search for "Windows don't lower when top opens" and see what comes up.

SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote