986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   spoiler (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3700-spoiler.html)

series 7 09-15-2005 01:17 PM

spoiler

is there a way to leave the spoiler up? Any button or what not?

airbox1 09-15-2005 01:25 PM

there is a button that raises the the rear spoiler even when the car is parked. the button is located next to the fuse box underneath the driver's side dashboard. actually, it is near the dead foot rest. good luck!

series 7 09-15-2005 02:47 PM

can i always have it up?

Jeph 09-15-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by series 7
can i always have it up?

Only if you want it to look goofy.

Richard Truss 09-15-2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeph
Only if you want it to look goofy.

LOL. So true. But could porsche put a suckier spoiler on this car? It looks more like a wind brake than a spoiler.

limoncello 09-16-2005 08:58 AM

Here's an option for a spoiler that's always up. Also fewer moving parts, less maintenance. I pulled the pic from the Porsche pre-owned site - anybody know if this is a factory option???

SD987 09-16-2005 11:33 AM

That looks like a sample of 986 option "XAA" - Aerokit

Includes front section with integrated front spoiler, side skirts, rear spoiler, and integrated third brake light.

gRed04 09-16-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limoncello
Here's an option for a spoiler that's always up. Also fewer moving parts, less maintenance. I pulled the pic from the Porsche pre-owned site - anybody know if this is a factory option???

I think that may be a aerokit I wing.

Pablito 09-16-2005 06:00 PM

I like the slimmer look of he Aero Kit II wing better or the techart option...they both look sleek and lightweight... :cool:

gRed04 09-16-2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablito
I like the slimmer look of he Aero Kit II wing better or the techart option...they both look sleek and lightweight... :cool:

I double the aerokit II wing looks nicer. Anyone know where you can get just the wing?

Richard Truss 09-16-2005 08:08 PM

does anyone have a pic to post of the aerokit II wing?

Pablito 09-17-2005 12:01 PM

Here's the look of the Aeorokit II and the TechArt one...As far where to get them, aside from the original authorised dealers....well maybe a parts recycler, there are a few specializing in european cars

Richard Truss 09-17-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablito
Here's the look of the Aeorokit II and the TechArt one...As far where to get them, aside from the original authorised dealers....well maybe a parts recycler, there are a few specializing in european cars

Thanks -- now which one is which? i sort of like the red car's wing better -- even though it is larger, it seems to fit nicely on the car. also, is there a way to disable the normal spoiler so it doesn't pop-up?

Pablito 09-17-2005 05:01 PM

The red car is the Aerokit II and the yellow one is the TechArt....to disable the stock spoiler all you need is to take it's fuse out from the fusebox at the driver's footwell.... :cool:

gRed04 09-17-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Truss
does anyone have a pic to post of the aerokit II wing?

Here is a better shot of the aerokit II wing.

Brucelee 09-17-2005 07:00 PM

Not a huge fan of wings but that is sweet!

:cheers:

series 7 09-18-2005 12:18 PM

Im thinking about getting the roock spoiler that replaces the stock spoiler, much more aggressive in my opinion.

http://www.roockusa.com/home.htm

limoncello 09-19-2005 05:47 AM

just curious - what do the fixed spoilers mount to? Do they generate the same/more/less downforce than the stock? All things equal, the fixed ones make more sense to me -

gRed04 09-19-2005 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limoncello
just curious - what do the fixed spoilers mount to? Do they generate the same/more/less downforce than the stock? All things equal, the fixed ones make more sense to me -

These drill through the rear deck. I am no expert here but a wing design ( air over and under ) generates both down and up force as the air travels over and under. The standard spoiler doesn't allow any under draft.

On the other hand no flow under equals much more drag ( braking ).

All things considered which one is better? I have no clue. :)

I sure like the look of the wing much better and I am planning to add one in the near future. I think I will leave the factory one active unless I notice some negative performance issue with the combination.

MNBoxster 09-19-2005 10:46 AM

Hi,

If you want to keep the spoiler up all the time, raise it manually and then pull the Fuse! :)

So far as the Aftermarket Wings, these are very different from Spoilers. They really aren't 'Wings' at all, they're much more like Ailerons. A 'Wing' uses the motive force of the Car (Engine) to Push the Air out of it's way. Since Newton's 2nd Law of equal and opposite reaction is present, an equal amount of reverse force is exerted on the Wing pushing the rear end down, just like the Ailerons on an Aircraft.

A Spoiler operates under a completely different priciple. An actual Wing doesn't really create Lift, that is a misnomer. Air flowing faster on one side of a surface than another experiences a Pressure Drop (Bernoulli's Principle). A Wing works because the air on the upper (or curved) surface flows faster and so has a lower Pressure and actually Sucks the Wing upward. The airflow going over a Boxster moves faster at the rear of the Car than the air flowing underneath it, so it sucks the rear upward. By slowing this air down, or, Spoiling it, the negative pressure it exerts on the rear of the Car is reduced.

So a 'Wing' actually Adds a Force to the equation, while a Spoiler removes, or prevents it. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS A Partial Vacuum creates quite a bit of Drag (robbing power and speed), by using the Spoiler to cleanup the Airflow on a Boxster, the Cd (Coefficient of Drag) is actually reduced by an additional 0.4 according to Porsche. A 'Wing' on the other hand would create quite a bit of additional Drag on the Car.